Cover for propane stored outside

Started by babyshoes, February 20, 2013, 11:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyshoes

I am planning on storing my propane outside, there is a narrow alleyway between two buildings - I will be torching next to an old blocked up door with dodgy patching, so easy to make a way for the hose to get in (and extraction out). OH thinks we should get a size of cylinder to fit in a plastic dustbin, as a cheapish way to protect it from the elements and from casual wandering eyes - just chop a hole in the dustbin for the hoses if necessary.

So, a couple of questions for those with more experience of propane -

1. Is the dustbin idea sensible or even necessary? If not, what do you do?
2. What size cylinder would you recommend to fit in a standard plastic yard bin?

Thanks!

Hamilton Taylor

If you don't mind it not being pretty, just something to keep weather off the regulator is all that's needed. If you want to cover it completely, make sure there is drainage around the bottom, to allow leaking gas to flow away. If you put it in a dustbin with no drain holes, and the bottle leaks, you'll end up with a dustbin full of gas....

babyshoes

Ah, good point about the drain holes, thanks! I will make a few near the bottom with OH's drill - bet she'll love me for that! :)

It's not just about wanting to keep weather off, also want a less attractive disguise to deter casual thieves. It is on private property and not visible from outside, so don't think I need the bother or expense of a locking cabinet, just something that will stand up to a casual glance down the narrow alleyway if someone *happens* to wander in when the gate is open - again not very likely as it is down a country lane and the gate is not open much. And if it does get nicked, well at least it's not the most expensive part of the kit!

Hamilton Taylor

How about putting a rawlbolt into a nearby wall/floor/landscape feature, and chaining the bottle to it?

firedinglass

To protect the regulator I just use a plastic bucket with  a square cut out of the side where the hose is. I just place it upside down over the top.

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa