Diamonds!

Started by Lakelady, February 06, 2013, 06:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakelady

Has anyone set diamonds into glass?  One of my clients has asked if I will do it.... :o
Turner Rowe Glass Art

JKC

I haven't tried as I don't think that they stand up to the heat well, it would be an expensive experiment. Janet

Trudi

I've set cz in glass but never diamonds ..... Good luck x

Lakelady

I have decided that's it's too risky and told him I will do CZs or set his diamonds in after it's made...phew! Now all I need is some kind of signature stamp as he wants the piece 'signed'! That will be my next post!  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Redhotsal

If CZs can take the heat diamonds would certainly be able to. But - depending on the size they might cause some compatibility problems which will cause localised cracking. Probably not worth the risk?

Lakelady

That's what I was thinking Sally.  He has decided to send them anyway and has absolved me of all responsibility - nevertheless, I will set one in a test bead if it turns out to be small enough and glue the rest in  ;D   Will let you know how it goes  ;)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

mizgeorge

I wouldn't do it! If the diamond has been treated, the heat can reverse that, and can cause irreparable damage to the stone. They can also change colour, and become cloudy, neither of which is a good look.

Lakelady

I have notified the customer of the risks but he is adamant - will wait to see them  - thanks all for the help and advice  :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Dragonfire Glass

Can you poke a hole, big enough in the initial bead, to take the diamond and glue in afterwards?

Lakelady

That's my plan Colette after much thought - I only plan to try setting in a test bead and if they are small enough!  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

julieHB

Good luck - I'm glad it's not me who's been asked!!!  :D
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Calico Cat

Have a look at Leah Fairbanks site.

She has some beads with topaz and sapphires set into them - they appear to be in gold settings - I think this is a collaboration with her husband but can't remember where I saw the details.

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

Kaz

Could you electroplate the bead and then set the diamond in the metal part?
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Lakelady

I fancy doing some electroplating but my customer has a firm idea of how he wants the item to look - allegedly they are cheap diamonds, so I think glueing is the favourite option, at least until I see them.  :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Moira HFG

"cheap diamonds" - ?? Interesting concept!