Inland swap tops - still available?

Started by Moira HFG, February 03, 2013, 05:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moira HFG

Hello, dear helpful people;

I would love to buy a swap top lap grinder/all-in-one.

I looked on the Inland UK site and they say "not currently available", so I emailed them and asked when they might have some stock; or if I could buy a 240V version direct from the US. And got no reply at all. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Can anyone shed light on this please? Are Inland UK still in business? Has anyone else tried to buy direct from the US - in which case how much were you stung for import tax?

I'm watching a used one on ebay currently; but the last one went for nearly the same price as a new one, and there's a limit to what I'll pay for secondhand machinery!

All advice appreciated. Thanks very much.

Moira

mizgeorge

There's been a problem with a part for the 220-240v motor, which is why they've been so hard to come by recently. Which of course means that other than old stock, you're unlikely to find one in the US either. You could, of course, buy a 110 version and use a step down transformer - there's no heat involved so it's a relatively safe option.

Moira HFG

I see. Thanks, George.

Your transformer suggestion is probably the best plan then. I'll cost that out before over-bidding for the ebay one. Especially if I won't be able to get spares for it!
:) Moira

JanT

I was after one of these last year and in frustration at not getting any information or response from the contact us on the website e-mailed their European head office. It must have been around early summer and they told me that they hoped to have it back on the market in a few weeks.. I waited ..nothing happened and in the end I gave up and decided to go for separates. I bought a flat lap - which I love. I do somethimes miss not having a grinder for concave curves but I and I haven't branched out into other things yet to need the saw
So much glass... so little time!

Moira HFG

Oh, isn't that annoying? I'm not sure which is worse - being ignored, or being misled.

I've found that I can buy a suitable transformer for £60, so I think I may go for the US version, if nothing comes up secondhand at a reasonable price in the next few weeks. I really would use all three functions, intermittently, so it's not worth buying three machines.

Incidentally, I notice that US lapidary sites have a wonderful selection of grinding and polishing equipment. What a shame it doesn't seem to make it over here!