My first slumped bottle.

Started by Purple Cobwebs, February 03, 2013, 11:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purple Cobwebs

Only a little one as I only have an SC2.
Would love some tips, as I was a bit disapointed with it.
Should I have slupmed more?
If so how should I change my schedule?
Ths is what I used...

R1 222
L1 685
H1 20m
R2 full
L2 516
H2 60m
R3 83
L3 371
H3 off

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Blue Box Studio

Found this thread http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1200.0 - how do the temps compare to what you used?  This is still on my list of things to do in an SC2, so interesting to see how you get on :)
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Shades of Colour

Hi.  I've just started slumping and for my first piece I used a similiar schedule as yours and it didn't work.  I bought some moulds and the one below came with them and it has been working for me and I'm using a SC2 as well.

rate - 200, Temp - 520, hold 25 mins
rate - 330, Temp - 650, hold 20 mins
rate - full, Temp - 516, hold 50 mins
rate - 60, Temp - 370, hold 0

Hope it helps  :)
Alison
www.facebook.com/shadesofcolourjewellery

Purple Cobwebs

Gaynor
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

MeadMoon

This is the schedule that I use for slumping small wine bottles in my SC2.  It's based on a schedule from the Brad Walker book.

Seg.   Rate   Temp   Hold
1        278     593      10
2        139     704       0
3       Full      804      5
4       Full      554     60
5        56       399       0

For slumping fused Bullseye glass into a mould, my schedule is practically the same as Alison's.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Purple Cobwebs

Gaynor
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Glyn Burton

Is it just me but I cant see the fascination of slumped bottles, they just look like a flat bottle. I student asked if she could slump some today so we loaded a kiln with 20 of the damn things and all we will get is 20 flat bottles it seems like a waste of kiln time to me. If it floats your boat then fine thats up to you but for the life of me I cant see the attraction.

Shades of Colour

I was possibly thinking of doing it with an empty champagin bottle.  The bottle was bought for me as a 40th birthday present last year, obviously the champaign is gone but I liked the bottle and thought it would be a way to keep hold of the present bought for me for a special birthday!!  On closer looking of the bottle I think its only a label anyway so once thats taken off it won't look any different to any other wine/champaign bottle  :(
Alison
www.facebook.com/shadesofcolourjewellery

helbels

I think the idea is that you stick the label back on once it's slumped, so you get a slumped bottle with your nice label on it :)

flame n fuse

they used to get turned into ash trays before the smoking ban in pubs

Rascal

I've seen some lovely ones which are used as dishes/plates to serve things on. For me it's like a lot of art, it's personal taste but even if it's not to my taste I can still admire the skill. Especially when it involves glass and I've started to understand how easily it can misbehave!

Pat from Canvey

If you prop up the neck of the bottle, you can get a nice handle if you are going to use the bottle for snacks. I'll see if I can post a picture later.

I've managed the picture now, partially slumped with the bottom weighted for balance.

MeadMoon

Oh, I really like that one Pat.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy