Soldering kit - opinions, please

Started by Shirley, January 30, 2013, 12:53:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I've just started a bit of silversmithing, and am looking to expand my equipment so I can do a bit of soldering at home. I'm not thinking big stuff as I can do that when I go to my classes. So, Cooksons have this kit and I'm wondeirng if any of our metal experts could give a me an opinion? I don't have any of the stuff in the kit already.

Here it is http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Starter-Soldering-Kit-Un-2837-prcode-999-096Q

It's also freepost until the end of the month.

Thanks
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mizgeorge

If I'm honest, I don't think much of this particular kit - and I know a lot of people who've bought it end up replacing almost every part.

For just a little bit more, you can get better versions of pretty much everything, so I'll list what's in the kit and what I think might do a better job:

hand torch - this is their bottom of the range one and not good at all. Get their proxxon or a PT200 instead.
soldering block - horrid - a charcoal block will do a much better job - it won't last forever, but gives you a lot more heat. Bind the outside edge with wire to stop it from cracking and falling apart.
sheet and solder probe - cheap nasty steel one - see below
standard, brass and reverse action tweezers - use plastic or bamboo tweezers for pickle, get a cheap pair of reverse action from a bead fair and get one good pair of titanium tweezers to replace both standard tweezers and probe.
liquid flux - small bottle of auflux/auroflux or borax cone and dish (if you're using strip solder)
flux brush - cheap paintbrush from the pound shop is more than good enough!
silver easy (300*3 mm), medium (300*1.5mm)and hard solder (300*6mm) - don't bother with medium. Just get a strip of hard and easy or use paste.
1kg of pickling salts - alum is just as effective and safer. Use in a small cheap slow cooker.

hth

ruth

thank you George, thats really helpful.

Ruth
Frittering the children's inheritance.

Shirley

George, you're a star! I was hoping you'd see this and post a reply  :-*

Very helpful indeed. Thank you!
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Margram

Bookmarking that advice - thank you George
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Madam Steph

Took George's advice re equipment when I started up 2 years back.

She has never put me wrong

Linda x