Backgrounds - which colour?

Started by SallyR, January 30, 2013, 10:32:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SallyR

I'm finally getting my act together as regards taking some 'proper' phots (in the hopes of maybe sorting out an Etsy shop at long last) but can't decide which background colour to go with.  I'm sure I read somewhere (can't find it now) that white backgrounds are better for Etsy, but some of you take really lovely phots on grey or slate backgrounds (which personally I prefer to white) and then there's always the frosted mirror background which also looks really good.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom they could share, please - or even just your own opinion on which looks more attractive from a buying perspective?  I'm fairly happy I can take usable phots on each background (white, grey, frosted) but just wondered if there were any good reasons for choosing one over the other, other than personal preference.

Sally
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want ...

Kalorlo

I think the only reason white backgrounds are better for Etsy is because they're more likely to be featured on the front page. I'm not taking my photos based on that  :P (I found it really hard to take photos on slate because of surface shine, but I think my setup would need rejigging if I wanted to do that as it's arranged for mostly white).

From a buying perspective, I'm not fussed - a good photo on any background is a good photo.

Blue Box Studio

I tend to use white, or black on my mannequin.  I bought a mirror to photograph onto the kind that are used for displays, but it scratched really quickly when I used it for jewellery and the scratches show up in photos.  I tried slate as had reflection problems too.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Dragonfire Glass

I use white for beads as I think it looks clean and fresh. I do tend to dress up jewellery a bit but more with props to display better and also ise a white background.

Of course white or ivory beads is a different story  :D

Octavia

From a buyers perspective, I like white backgrounds as I feel I get a better impression of the colour of the beads/jewellery.  Having said that if its a good picture, well focussed and the beads are a good size and can be seen easily, any colour is fine :)

helenfc

Definitely a vote for white here, I dont like anything else as it might take away from the colours x

SallyR

Quote from: Kalorlo on January 30, 2013, 11:32:22 AM
I think the only reason white backgrounds are better for Etsy is because they're more likely to be featured on the front page.

Ah, that makes sense

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on January 30, 2013, 11:53:24 AM
I bought a mirror to photograph onto the kind that are used for displays, but it scratched really quickly when I used it for jewellery and the scratches show up in photos.

Acts as a cat fur magnet too  ;)

So the vote seems to be generally in favour of white so far ...
Sally

helbels

I started with white.. went to frosted mirror.... then to dark grey... and now back to white again..... I can never make my mind up!!!  ;D

SallyR

Quote from: helbels on January 30, 2013, 08:46:33 PM
I started with white.. went to frosted mirror.... then to dark grey... and now back to white again..... I can never make my mind up!!!  ;D

Exactly my problem!  ;D  Thanks for your comments, folks - must stop faffing around and make a decision!!!
Sally

firedinglass

I've started using a large white tile we had left over. It seems to work as slightly shiny but not too much, no creases and easily cleanable! I  also find if I take the photos in the conservatory on a reasonable day I don't need the light tent or lights.

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Jennie Lamb

Biscuit Tin lid for me got one in silver one in gold and the added bonus of loads of all butter shortbread to eat!!!