Flat panel

Started by Sandera, January 28, 2013, 04:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandera

Here's hoping your collective wisdom can help me out again!

I'm itching to create a back-lit flat fused glass panel for going on a wall. But I'm reaching an impasse when it comes to working out how to fit the glass to the electrical gubbins. Has anyone done something similar bearing in mind I like to work on a shoestring?

♥♥Tan♥♥

I think it was Sparrow who was recently discussing this and I remember something in the topic about getting the fittings from Ikea?

Ah found it
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31646.0

♥♥Tan♥♥

Glyn Burton

You can get a fitting from IKEA they only come in 1 size which is not that big but they are quite cheap. Another alternative is to make a box frame and put small fluorescent tubes inside. It would be worth playing around with some samples to find the optimum distance between the light source and the glass, if its too close the light will be very uneven. Last year I made a piece which used coloured neon tubes behind the glass which worked really well but it was expensive to have made. LED lights can be good too very cheap to run and they last for ever.

Sandera

Thanks Glynn. I explored the Ikea route but unfortunately the ones I saw were actually too big so I'm looking for a smaller version. I'm also  considering creating a light box but, as you say, the costs start to add up.

Glyn Burton

I must have delusions of grandeur, I rejected the IKEA ones because they were too small.
A tip I give my students for what its worth when making a small light box is find the light first and then make the box to fit it. Its very frustrating having made the box not being able to find a light that fits.

Zeldazog

Quote from: Glyn Burton on January 29, 2013, 07:30:39 PM
I must have delusions of grandeur, I rejected the IKEA ones because they were too small.

Either you have a larger kiln Glyn, or you're talking about a different light fitting.

I'm guessing that Sandera is talking about this set, which has interchangeable panels:

The smaller of the two sizes available is 56cm.  Which is also too big for my kiln.

Sandera

Yes, that's them. I'm quite frustrated because I feel there should be a way of buying the fitments (or cobble them together). So far, I haven't been able to even see what I want in the usual lighting shops so that I can get an idea of construction.

♥♥Tan♥♥

I have a feeling it would be fairly easy to buy a standard lamp fitting and then create a tab type affair out of aluminium to hold the panel.

Sandera

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on January 30, 2013, 01:35:43 PM
I have a feeling it would be fairly easy to buy a standard lamp fitting and then create a tab type affair out of aluminium to hold the panel.

Mmmm - is it me or does that sound actually quite complicated - lol ;D

♥♥Tan♥♥

Well.........I happened to be at a local hardware shop at the weekend and was surprised at how cheap light fittings are, the bare bones of them I mean and it got me to thinking that ali is pretty soft and wouldn't take much to drill out to take the fittings and then create some tabs to hold the glass in place. You could make your own to any size you want then.

Having said that, after a quick search of lights on ebay there are loads on there that could easily be adapted with minimum faff.

Glyn Burton

Sandera

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on January 30, 2013, 05:09:10 PM
Well.........I happened to be at a local hardware shop at the weekend and was surprised at how cheap light fittings are, the bare bones of them I mean and it got me to thinking that ali is pretty soft and wouldn't take much to drill out to take the fittings and then create some tabs to hold the glass in place. You could make your own to any size you want then.

Having said that, after a quick search of lights on ebay there are loads on there that could easily be adapted with minimum faff.

Thanks Tan.

I'm off to have a look............