Kiln choice, can you advise please?

Started by Moira HFG, January 27, 2013, 03:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moira HFG

I'm cautiously considering splashing out on a new kiln with a bead door, and with small fusing capability. (I've been keeping an an eye out for a second-hand one; but had no luck so far.)

How are people finding the Ace? Is it - Ace?

And - hello Lee! I notice it's not listed on the Kilncare site. Are they only available from Creative Glass Guild now?

Thanks,
Moira

Kimster

I absolutely love my Ace. As a complete newbie it was easy to understand the programmes, & really easy to use, no problems at all. When I did have a completely dumb question ( loads in the first couple of weeks) , Lee & team were always on the end of the phone & didn't make me feel stupid (however much they may have been rolling their eyes & wanting to say READ THE EFFING MANUAL!)  :D

SilverGems89

The ace is very well named in my opinion! I love mine, have fused and annealed in mine and it's bril  ;D

Moira HFG

Mmm, encouraging comments, ladies, thank you.

Has anyone had the opportunity to try both the Ace and a Paragon SC2 or SC3?

Pauline

I have an SC3 and it is good for small fusing and PMC and annealing.  I had the version without a bead door but it was such a pain that I bought a replacement door, which has made a diffrerence.  the sc3 gives you a bit more height than an sc2 but not a lot.  the bead door on the ACE appears full width which would be better than the SC3 IMHO.
you can do both in the bead cube too just on a smaller scale

flowerjasper

I have a SC2 with a bead door,  I use it for batch and bead as you go annealling, plus silver clay, I have done a few  glass fused coasters and am very happy with it,I have had it nearly 5 years now.
I suppose its down to how much you have to spend/how much space you want/ how many beads you will be making at a time / and the size of the pieces you want to fuse.
sandy

Moira HFG

Many thanks for your help.

I think I'm leaning towards the Ace, because of the bigger bead door and the excellent after sales service that many people have commented on.

Sal compared using a manual kiln to "poking blunt mandrels in your eyes". I wouldn't go that far; but it's certainly slowing me down  :D

Cheers, M