Help with silver wire please :)

Started by anditsinthefish, January 16, 2013, 01:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

So I tired using silver wire yesterday. I knew it hated me as soon as it sliced my little finger open :( but I went with it and go this;

First attempt at silver wire. by Sarah Jane Walsh Designs, on Flickr

I knew it wasn't quite right but I wasn't sure what else I could do with it. I tried it in a oxygen rich flame but it did nothing. Any tips please? :) xx
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

mizgeorge

That looks a bit like you've used sterling rather than fine silver?

Shirley

Are you using Sterling or fine silver? Sterling will go black and pitted whereas the fine silver stays silver when heated.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

GaysieMay

www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Glassy Lou

Will using fine silver directly onto pink glass turn it a murky brown - or is it just something in foil which causes that?
I know both pink glass and fine silver are expensive so I thought I'd ask to save you wasting either on a result that you probably don't want. Then again you might want muddy brown...  :P

anditsinthefish

ahhh yes it probably is sterling. Thanks guys. x x
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Magpie

Quote from: Zen on January 16, 2013, 02:20:28 PM
Will using fine silver directly onto pink glass turn it a murky brown.....

Most pinks plus silver = orange hues. So if you want pink and silver you usually need clear between. Pink glass is coloured with gold compounds which are displaced by the silver, so presumably you get orange/brown from silver compounds.

Trudi

With some colours even fine silver wire will discolour ... not like sterling silver, but over pinks you will
Probably notice it going gold. This can also happen with other colours .... baby blue surprised me!

Glyn Burton

I noticed on Palmer Metals website that 0.3mm fine silver wire is £30 for a 30gm spool but sterling is £50 for the same amount which is sort of counter intuitive, I would have thought the purer would be the most expensive; still I am not complaining.