Set up a hot head torch to bulk propane

Started by bearyboo, January 10, 2013, 08:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearyboo

Hello all!

I am new to lampworking and have previously been using mapp gas to light my torch. I have made myself a make shift workshop in our shed and now I want to link it up to a big propane tank.

I have no clue how to do this or what i need to do this! Do i need a flashback arrestor? And what kind of regulator do I need?

Apologies if this has already been posted, I couldn't find it when I searched.

And help will be appreciated.

Danielle xx

And help will be appreciated.

Zeldazog

If you try searching for a keyword, such as 'bulk', using the search box at the top right of the page, you will find loads of posts on the same subject, I am sure you will find answers there (not a lampie myself, so can't help anyway!)

Make sure, when you search, you are at the top level of the forum (click on home, top left tab) to do this - otherwise it will only search the board you are in rather than the whole forum

HTH

helbels

Or if you give Tuffnell Glass a call, they sell a complete kit and will be happy to talk you through exactly what you need to get (and do!) to get set up.

Gordon

The killer is getting the adapter for the hot head and an appropriate regulator for the gas bottle. All in all it's better to get the one sold by Tuffnells and be done with it ( at least you know it's the right thing for the job )

marklaird

I'm using a HH on bulk having started on MAPP gas.

I bought the bulk convertor kit from Tuffnells along with the quick release connector so I can disconnect the propane easily.

Setting it all up was really easy. The pipework comes all connected and ready to go, so it is simply a case of screwing the adaptor onto the bottom of the HH, attaching the HH to your bench (I use the Tuffnells bench kit), and then attaching the other end of the pipework to the propane tank (which I leave outside round the garage door).

It was a little scary turning it on for the first time but it does just work.

Mark

Nikki

I put mine together with a bit of help from the man at the calor gas place. You need a 4 bar regulator that will screw into the gas tank then a flash back arrestor for propane (ask  your gas supplier) and hose for propane ( again your gas supplier will have this) the bit for the end of the hose into the torch is available here http://www.tools4trade.com/d-2012009-todays-tools-tlha-hose-adaptor.aspx. The main thing that causes a problem is the connecting of the hose to the arrestor and the adaptor. I got my gas supplier to use his crimp machine to do this so it is up to the regulations. The total cost was about £45, about 3 years ago.

Hope this helps. ;D ;D

bearyboo

Thank you for your help. It is much appreciated :) Hopefully, this time next week I will be ready to go!