Fusing to less than 6mm

Started by doriwallace, December 29, 2012, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doriwallace

I am very new to fusing but have managed to fuse together some sheets of glass with frit and/or millefiori chips and then slump the fused sheets into small dish moulds.   I understand that fully fused glass wants to be about 6mm - i'm finding this a bit too thick for the size of dish i'm making.  Is there a way of fully fusing decorative elements into a glass sheet but maintaining it at 3 - 4mm thickness?

jeannette

Not as far as I can tell and that's only because I've fused a few times and I have read the glass behaviour stuff (as you must have done from your post).
The only way that I think you could do this is to add some weight on top of the glass - put an extra kiln shelf on the top with "some" weights on it and then you could flatten it out, but I expect it would be unpredictable as to how thick it would be and also the final shape of the piece.
Be interested to hear if it's possible as well.

silkworm

When I started going to evening classes in kiln work the tutor encouraged us to use float glass till we got used to cutting etc and I have a lot of pieces I made then using 2mm glass - they do not have as nice rounded edges but were not a total disaster. I have just made some little trinket dishes - two layers of 3mm glass plus frit and though they are nicely rounded after slumping they do look slightly clumsily thick so I would be glad to hear what advice is given.
Mary

micpru

I frequently fire pieces that are much less than 6mm.  I tend to use 6mm for pendants and jewellery as it keeps it's shape better when I'm using my full fuse program.  You can layer up on a 3mm piece but the top layer glass will not always "sink in" fully and this may just mean the dish will be a little bumpy which can add character.  Always fused the piece flat first and then slump into the dish mould after.  If the pieces are less than 6mm on a full fuse the  edges may loose their shape a little to but again this can add to the design.

Recently made some coaster using a 3mm piece and a 2mm piece and they can out beautifully.

I hope this helps and experimenting is the best bit.

x
Michaela x

doriwallace

Thank you for all your responses.  Just found this really useful tutorial

http://fusedglass.org/learn/project_tutorials/kiln_pressed_glass

chas

It really is a matter of experimentation and note-taking to avoid repeating mistakes... kiln differences, float/bullseye/ glass thickness, mould profile - all require taking into account: and then there's temperature and hold...

If it's any encouragement, we made shallow dishes/bowls from 4mm float, but had to stray significantly from the schedule supplied with the kiln (Nabertherm) in maybe a surprising way:

"as listed" 6mm Bullseye: up to 673deg and hold for 10 mins.
"as developed" 4mm float: up to 835deg and hold for 35 mins.

So, not very intuitive then!

Chas

Moira HFG

Thanks for the pressed kiln glass link, dori!
They explain the technique really clearly, and I love the result.