Cutting systems for fusing

Started by Bajangirl, October 29, 2012, 06:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bajangirl

Hi guys,
I am relatively new to the forum and have found it to be a great source of information which helped me through many days of frustrating lampworking, a big thank you. I'm thinking of investing in a cutting system for my pendants and would like some advice on the best one to buy, so far I've looked at Morton and beetle bits but is finding it a bit difficult to decide.

Any help would be great

Elaine

Delana

Hi Elaine,

I've used the Morton system for years now and it is still going strong.  I advise you to get a big one if you have room and can afford it.  The more space you have to cut and move the glass around the better.  I'm not familiar with the beetle bits system so cant compare it....sorry.

Bajangirl

Many thanks Delana,

Tempsford Glass ltd sells a few systems but they look so complex, I want to be able to cut a variety of shapes and would rather invest wisely now, I will sleep on it tonight and hopefully make a decision in the morning.

Angie

I just bought the morton from Tempsford. I was so iffyabout getting it so they said i could try it for 30 days and bring it back if i didnt get on with it.....one afternoon later, no one is going to take it away from me now!!!!
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

Bajangirl

Hi Angie,

Did you get the MMX-MPGS system, not sure what the differences are between the sets and did it come with the Grid included.

Delana

Quote from: Angie on October 29, 2012, 07:24:03 PM.....one afternoon later, no one is going to take it away from me now!!!!
:D  :D  :D

Glyn Burton

I also use the Morton system and would not be without it, its well made easy to use and inexpensive. I agree with the earlier post buy the biggest you can fit in/afford.

I recently bought a Taurus ring saw and have been very impressed with it. I was a bit dubious but it has easily exceeded my expectations and has opened new possibilities in terms of shape and form. It was a bit expensive but I now wonder how I managed without it.

Angie

I got the mpgs ( Morton portable cutting system) and a pack of two mini surfaces (to be discontinued but sold off at £20) that when connected make the same size as the current mini surface plus(£30). I am generally not needing to cut anything above the size of a quarter sheet and if I do buy half sheets I just halve them on a carpet tile then use the Morton. I am only doing pendants so unless I want to get into stained in a bit way, this is the perfect size.

The mms is the maxi surface which is the same size as two mini surface plus or four mini surfaces. Hope this helps. Freddie at Tempsford is really helpful.
www.angiesnelling.com
In the future, all will be glass...

Delana

Quote from: Glyn Burton on October 29, 2012, 08:17:16 PM
I recently bought a Taurus ring saw and have been very impressed with it. I was a bit dubious but it has easily exceeded my expectations and has opened new possibilities in terms of shape and form. It was a bit expensive but I now wonder how I managed without it.

Glyn...I know what you mean.  I've had a Taurus for some time now and when I'm cutting stars etc.  I just love it!  I does make life so much easier!  Mine does make a heck of a lot of noise though...don't know if the new models do.  Everyone in the house knows when I turn it on.  ;)

♥♥Tan♥♥

Morton user here as well and a vote from me. Do have a think about what you want it for, now and in the future I have the small one and it is adequate but boy do I wish I had bought the larger one now because my work is so much bigger

Glyn Burton

I don't find the Taurus very noisy perhaps the new model is quieter? mind you I am a bit deaf so perhaps its me not the machine.