Painting on glass

Started by Absart, October 02, 2007, 08:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absart

Hi, does anyone on here do any painting on glass? I have been reading a book on glass fusing and would like to try out some of the decorative techniques on the jewellery I make, however, the book says that when painting on glass you need a kiln with elements in the top and the side to make sure the paint properly sticks to the glass. Does anybody have any more info about this?

Thank you.

Abbie  :)

Mary

I know you can get lower temp paints (Pebeo Vitrea) that cure in the oven, for surface effects. Or Julie LittleGiggles did some higher temp painting with fusing, maybe you could contact her?

Zeldazog

Hi, don't know about *paints* but we've used enamels (mixed with various different mediums to apply) at college, and we fire in a ceramics kiln with side elements only, and they are still fully fused.

We mainly enamelled on to float glass, but I did have success too with an enamel design painted onto Bullseye and fired. 

littlegiggles

The top and side thing depends on what you are using to do the painting with and how you're gonna use the painted piece afterwards.  My kiln has elements on the top only but as I wrap this around a bead or fuse the paint into the middle of a cab thats not been an issue.