Which diameter stretch magic?

Started by SilverGems89, September 17, 2012, 07:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverGems89

I want to make a few bracelets with stretch magic and my lampwork beads for xmas presents etc but am not sure which diameter would be best, 0.8mm, 1mm, 1.5mm or 1.8mm
Any tips gratefully received!  :)

flowerjasper

I use 0.8 if using small beads and crystals, if just using lampwork beads I use 1mm and put a dob of super glue on the knot and force it in one of the beads so it drys inside and doesnt show,
s x

cbeadies

I use 1mm too, I did try 1.5mm but found that the knots were then too big to hide in a bead ( I mostly use 2mm mandrels). I've made lots of stretchy bracelets with 1mm and not had any problems with them as yet.

SilverGems89

Thank you both, have ordered some 1mm  :)

mizgeorge

If you can, always double up on stretchy stuff. If one strand breaks, the other will still hold things together until it can be fixed.

Sandy, please, please don't use superglue on anything stretchy. It will, over time, make the elastic brittle and liable to snap. If you want to secure a knot, clear nail varnish, or better still GS Hypo cement are much safer.

If you can't hide a knot inside a bead, a crimp cover can be a neat alternative, especially if you've used other metal beads in the design.

flowerjasper

clear nail varnish it will be from now on  :)
thanks George x

SilverGems89

Quote from: mizgeorge on September 17, 2012, 10:02:15 PM
If you can, always double up on stretchy stuff. If one strand breaks, the other will still hold things together until it can be fixed.

If you can't hide a knot inside a bead, a crimp cover can be a neat alternative, especially if you've used other metal beads in the design.

Thanks for the tips George, i never would have thought of them! Glad i got some GS hypo cement too!  :)