How long will a tank last?

Started by anditsinthefish, September 01, 2012, 09:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anditsinthefish

Hi everyone,

I know this is a complete novice question, but how long do propane tanks last? and what size do you all use? I can't decided weather to have a 6kg or 13kg. My other thought is the weight of a full tank, I need to take it up one flight of stairs. I know I can lift 13kg because I used to have to lift 21kg of fish at work, but up a flight of stairs... I'm not so sure.

Sarah x
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Krysia@No98

so the first question is what type of torch are you on?

The tank will last much much longer with a duel fuel torch.

The second thing to factor in is cost, per kg it will be less to get a 13kg tank.

If you get your gas delivered then the delivery man can take it up the stairs for you.  I guess the more important question would be if you needed to get it out in a hurry (In that exceptionally unlikely event)  I have a 13 and won't go bigger as I know I can;t shift a 19 on my own.

Lastly how easy is it for you to get refills?  There is NOTHING more frustrating then not having gas. 

If you what times for tanks I'll look up what I have tomorrow for you.  i have a log of who long I spend on the torch each session and tie that to each tank so i can sort of gauge how long each lasts for.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

anditsinthefish

I am currently on a hot head, but I will be moving to a duel fuel when I go onto bulk propane. Yeah I saw on the colar website it was about another £6 for over double the amount of gas. I can't see getting gas to be a problem, but I'm not entirely sure.

Aw that would be a great help if you don't mind. I have no idea as mapp hardly lasts at all!

Sarah x
Sarah xx
Website. Blog. Flickr.

Enchanted Cobwebs

my first tank was 13kg, it lasted almost a year on dual fuel and i torch about 10 hrs a week. got the smaller one this time as I have to take it up 2 flights!
I used mapp before and thought my 13 kg would run out in a few weeks!
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Shirley

When I first got bulk propane with my hothead a 3.9kg tank would give 40 hours torching, a 6kg around 60 hours. I get a lot more time now I'm using my bobcat. Don't know how many hours I get now, but it seems pretty economical.

I have a 3.9kg tank that I inherited and a 6kg that I bought. If I'm organised I can make sure there's always gas there. I went with 6kg because I knew I could carry it, especially if I needed to lift it into the car. I actually get tanks delivered by my local calor people. It costs £1 extra - less than the cost of the petrol to get to the depot.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

Krysia@No98

Ok I have gone into my logs and I'm a bit astounded by the figures...

3   13.5   05-Oct-09   08-Apr-10   24.99                              81.31
4   13.5   10-Apr-10   31-Jul-10   19.99     canister part used   85.29
5   13.5   01-Aug-10   15-Jan-11   24.99     Garden Centre           120.2
6   13.5   22-Jan-11   31-Jul-11   24.99     Garden Centre           180.51
7   13.5   01-Aug-11   25-Feb-12   34.49     + delivery                   207.4
8   6   26-Feb-12   28-Aug-12   22.99     Garden Centre           111.15

Tank 3 on a hot head, Tank 4 hot head and dual fuel (about 50 50 of each and it was a part used tank so I have no idea how much actual gas was in there)  The others which I am finding a bit on the unbelievable side are on the duel fuel.  I think some of the differences like the 20 hours can be explained in the difference between lots of little sessions and not so many long sessions. I bleed the pipes after ever session and that all builds up...

(I didn't do session logs for the first two tanks)

ScarletLeonard

That spread sheet looks a bit too organised Krysia.

For me I use 19kg tanks because I don't have to lift them and they were a lot cheaper. On the Hothead they lasted about 7 months on a 10 hour/week (or there abouts)

I bought my new tank when I switched over to duel fuel in January and it is still going strong.

It really does depend where in the country you are as well on the prices, I've seen some people say they have paid more for a 6kg than I go for the 19.

Kaz

I have two 19kgs on the go at once - each lasts about 3 months - but mine are outside of my shedio.
If I were in your shoes Sarah I would go for the smaller size and have a back up held outside if possible. Then as one runs out you can connect the other and order a refill. This way you are never out of gas when you are settling down for a few hours solid beading at 5pm on a Sunday (said from experience!)
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Blue Box Studio

I've a 6kg Calor and an 11kg Flogas tank - the latter I got off Freecycle and was full.  Flogas is cheaper than Calor for starters, I can get it from my local corner shop but I'm no weakling but 11kg is heavy.  I use a little trolley to move mine around to the end of the garden and only have to lift it in and out of the car, in and out of the shedio, but the 11kg is a struggle.  I think it is because it's a small heavy object, rather than bigger with the load spread over a bigger space (am I talking twaddle again?).  I can carry my big 64kg Really Useful stock boxes without any problems yet the cylinders seem to be a struggle. 
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Krysia@No98

Quote from: ScarletLeonard on September 02, 2012, 10:01:02 AM
That spread sheet looks a bit too organised Krysia.

;D would you have me any other way?

bluefairy

Helen xx

My Etsy     My Facebook     My Folksy

Krysia@No98

Enchanted Cobwebs

Isnt the weight just the gas? The tanks are bloomin' heavy even when they are empty.

Love the spreadsheet and will conduct similar research when I start my next tank!
Now I can play all day as I retired from the 'proper' job....
http://www.enchantedcobwebs.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EnchantedCobwebs

Blue Box Studio

Agree.  I think the empty weight is on the metal collar?  Empty or full, they are heavy.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Krysia@No98

Quote from: Enchanted Cobwebs on September 02, 2012, 03:15:16 PM
Love the spreadsheet and will conduct similar research when I start my next tank!

It's worth doing.  We all use our torches in slightly different ways so usage for each person will be different.