Oxycon Fault

Started by Shed79, August 30, 2012, 01:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shed79

My Oxycon suddenly developed a fault on Monday.  It was working fine but without warning I got a Low Oxygen warning and a Service Required light at the same time.  The flow level ball remained at 4 litre/minute but the flame changed from a neutral to a propane flame in about a minute as the oxygen ran out.

I've cleaned the filters in the flap at the back but this hasn't resolved the issue. and if I try to run the device it appears to be pushing air rather than oxygen to the torch, when the Oxygen tap is turned on the flame is blown out rather than burning blue.

It sounds a bit serious, has anyone else had a similar issue and if so how was it resolved.

Thanks
Kev

Shed79

Plan A - no good, the fault is still there so I'll resort to Plan B.  Thats one day of next weeks annual leave taken care of then.

Redhotsal

Sounds like there's an internal leak. It would seem that the oxygen is being produced but it may well be leaking inside the unit. If everything else seems fine - i.e. you can hear the compressor and the fan working then that's the most obvious fault. My advice would be to open it up (make sure it's not "live" when you do this and don't poke around aimlessly with a screwdriver) and check for any obvious holes in the silicon tubing. If the tubing has gone brittle (depending on the age and condition of the unit) it will develop holes really easily. If you are a practical person it is usually well worth replacing all the silicon tubing and you can also pull out all the disc filters at the same time. They're only there for medical reasons and are only impeding the gas flow. Try an aquatic supplier for the tubing and you can use plastic cable ties to secure the tubing to any solid pipes. We changed all the tubing in ours and removed the filters and they work much better.

Shed79

Many Thanks Sal, I'll have a good look over the weekend.