Cracks in beads

Started by Passionatelamper, August 15, 2012, 09:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passionatelamper

I made a really nice bead last week a large pillow with swirls in.
I was therefore gutted to find a large crack a few days after annealing.
I decided to experiment and put it in the kiln as I switched it on to ramp up to temp to make beads
After a few hours I took it out very carefully with a glove on (I had put it on a mandrel with bead release on) and put it back in the flame until molten.
The crack had gone and the lovely bead has been saved. I am waiting now to see what it is like in the morning.
If anyone else does this forgive me but thought I would share.  ;D

etsy-header-dec12 by vonnie.t, on Flickr

c-glass

How did it turn out Vonnie?  ??? Interesting to know x

Lakelady

I have done it if it was a particularly lovely/complex bead and I do it when combining stuff too - not had any disasters doing it- glad you saved your bead Vonnie  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

GaysieMay

I've done this when silver glass hasn't reduced too. Hope it turned out ok. x :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

LilLizaJane

I didn't know this was possible! Thank you Vonnie - info stored for future use...
maintaining eccentricity in the midst of madness
www.LilLizaJane.etsy.com.  (aka Beth)

oliver90owner

By no means an expert (just a very basic starter, or not even that) on beads but I am wondering if your annealing programme needs extending if this was a particularly larger than normal item - as you said "a large pillow".

Remember the temperature gradient throughout the bead needs to be as close to zero as practicable during cooling, particularly at the critical stages.

Redhotsal

It may have been cracked before it went into the kiln. Sometimes you don't see really fine cracks when the beads are hot, and you may have it crack before it even goes into the kiln, but when the glass cools down the glass contracts and they open up.
I've fixed quite a few by re-running through the kiln. A couple of words of advice to those who want to fix a broken bead this way, 1)  it's much much easier to leave the bead on the mandrel than to try and get it back on a fresh mandrel! and 2) have a damp cloth ready so that you can cool down the hot mandrel after taking it out of the kiln.  :)

Margram

Just to add: re-introduce it to the flame fairly gingerly ie towards the end of the flame where it's cooler, and gradually bring it down into the working flame area. Bit like reverse flame-annealing :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog