soldering jump rings or how?

Started by suzanneC, July 02, 2012, 11:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzanneC

Posted a little while ago about how to solder silver rings to fasteners of necklaces,
well now have photo

Not a really good photo but maybe you can see I have been attaching with two jump
rings but does not always work and one seems to come undone, I wonder if possible to
solder or how do you make a good solid connection? help please

mizgeorge

I think the solution to this one is very simple - your jump rings are too thin - something that happens with a lot of commercial rings. A well made, well closed jump ring is fine unsoldered (and provides a necessary safety break point), but does need to be the right size. As a guide, for this size, a ring made from 1mm wire with an internal diameter of 3mm or less would be very strong - if you're using 0.8mm wire, then the ID needs to be 2.4mm or less. Rings made from half hard wire are always going to be stronger than those made from dead soft.

If you want to PM me with your address, I'll send you some in the right sort of sizes to try.

JaySpangles

Thank you George for that bit of info, something I had always wondered about but never quite knew the tolerances. Have noted!

Jennie Lamb

George you are endlessly generous with your knowledge.......thank you!

GlassOcean

George, thanks Angel, I always thought you had to have safety break points  ;)  That way I don't have to blame my children for being flamng hooligans!!  Even though they are!!

Love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu xx