Kiln wash

Started by jeannette, June 17, 2012, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeannette

Hi -

It says on the kiln wash tub that you should not dispose of it down the drain. I can't think of why you would, but when pieces come out do they have any kiln wash on them and do I need to be careful with kiln paper residue? Where/how do I dispose of it if rinsing pieces?

Thanks
Jeannette

Sarah A

If I've used kiln wash the pieces usually come out clean with maybes very slight dust to the bottom and I usually just give them a bit of a polish with glass cleaner and kitchen paper. For kiln paper I usually Hoover both the shelf and glass and then rinse the glass under the tap or clean with kitchen paper depends how I'm feeling!

flame n fuse

Hi Jeanette,
They only have a tiny bit of kiln wash on them - so no worries about rinsing down the drain, but kiln paper residue (are you using Bullseye thinfire?) is another story - this creates a very fine (ceramic) dust after firing - not very nice health wise - if you disturb it, you can see it floating in the air. This is a quote from the Bullseye thinfire instructions 'Cleanup and Safety: On firing, ThinFire disintegrates to a dusty tissue. As with all ceramic fiber material, you should avoid breathing residual dust. When disposing of ThinFire, wear a respirator that is NIOSH-approved for dusts. Clean your kiln shelves with a HEPA vacuum, if possible. For more cleanup and safety tips, read "Safety in the Kiln-glass Studio" at www.bullseyeglass.com/education.'; I tip the residue on the kiln shelf into a poly bag, while wearing a mask, and do it at arms length. I then wipe the shelf with  damp kitchen paper and put that into the polybag as well, and rinse the base of the glass under the tap - so anything stuck to the glass goes down the drain - and had no problems with that.
Hope this helps
Julia

jeannette

Yes, it sure does thanks. I wish I hadn't bought the paper now, seems the kiln wash is a better bet. Yes I have thinfire, but just bought a second hand kiln as was given a big roll of thick fire as well...does that suffer with the same?
I'll look at the link thanks.
Jx

flame n fuse

I find that the paper gives a smoother finish on the bottom of pieces of glass than I can get with kiln wash, so I do prefer to use it, though there are a number of pros and cons. I haven't used the thick stuff, so can't help you there!

Zeldazog

The thick ceramic fibre paper doesn't disintegrate into dust - I use it for kiln carving, and sometimes it comes away from fully intact - and that's when its sunk into the the glass

If you're careful about lifting off your fused pieces, you'd be able to re-use it at time or two (you'll know when it starts to go, it well come away in fibres)

It does have more texture though, I've found it varies depending on glass used, hold time, which side of the paper and the CF paper itself as to how much texture there is and whether it's acceptable.

flame n fuse

somewhere, I read that putting kilnwash powder on the shelf (over a proper protective coating of painted-on kiln wash), and carefully flattening it by pressing with a smooth sheet of paper was a good way to get a smooth surface, but haven't tried that.

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: flame n fuse on June 18, 2012, 06:49:32 PM
somewhere, I read that putting kilnwash powder on the shelf (over a proper protective coating of painted-on kiln wash), and carefully flattening it by pressing with a smooth sheet of paper was a good way to get a smooth surface, but haven't tried that.
You can do that with whiting when painting or silver staining stained glass. The whiting is very cheap. You can also mold the whiting into shapes with water, let dry and slump flat sheet glass over it. Here's a test piece I did years and years ago,

The thinner pieces were done with a whiting paste piped with a Royal icing syringe thingy and allowed to dry before slumping. I seem to recall that the glass was a simple piece of pink cathedral sheet glass. The bug type shapes can be re-used in different configurations as can any other shapes you make.

Flyingcheesetoastie

In regards to letting anything go down the sink, I have a dirt trap under my wash tank, so anything like plaster, kiln wash, fibre etc. sinks to the bottom allowing me the fun task of scooping it all out when the urge takes me.

It's not difficult to fit something like this in and can save you a whole load of problems with blocked drains later on.

flame n fuse

That looks interesting Pat, will have to try that. I have made moulds out of plasticene (pressed bits of plants, sea shells etc into it), then cast them in plaster of paris and then slumped glass into that. Can get pretty good effects with a bit of patience - sufficient detail to see veins on leaves etc. The moulds only last one or two firings.

flame n fuse

& Pat, are there no limits to your skills - you seem to have done everything!!
Julis

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: flame n fuse on June 19, 2012, 06:48:21 PM
& Pat, are there no limits to your skills - you seem to have done everything!!
Julis
I was forced to retire on medical grounds in 1988 after a bad car crash so needed to fill in my time somehow, apart from bringing up 3 children  ::)  ::)  ::)

flame n fuse

That must have been a very difficult time for you. I get the impression that quite a lot of us have found glassy things a very positive and absorbing diversion in life.