Printing up tutorials into book form

Started by firedinglass, June 04, 2012, 08:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firedinglass

I know that in the US it's possible to print up tutorials and have them spiral bound by Lulu.com - (although i couldn't see where on the website you can do this ) but people have done so.  But does anyone know where in the UK this is possible at a reasonable cost ?  I would ove to have some of my tuorials printed into a spiral bound book instead of tatty bits of paper lying around!

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

helenfc

Staples?
Or any stationer that does dissertation/thesis binding should be able to just do it from a memory stick :)
HTH xxx

Krysia@No98

There is a print shop at our local uni that does it.  do you have a uni close by?
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

★★Terri★★

You can buy binders from places like Rymans.  The punch holes in and fix a plastic spine in.  You can add covers at the same time.  Don't know how much they cost.

Sometimes I print my tutorials off and laminate them and then use treasury tags to hold them together (a little bit of string with metal tags on the ends).  This keeps everthing nice and clean ;D

SilverGems89

our local library used to do printing and binding, might be worth checking your local library

Blue Box Studio

I keep mine in Tesco display books - best when on offer for 99p.  They have fixed plastic pages so can get several tutorial per book.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

ScarletLeonard

I bought a lever arch binder and a load of plastic pockets.
I can get a whole years worth of the SodaLime Times in one and I have another purely for tutorials. i found that easier because I can then just take out a page when I need it rather than having a whole book on my desk, plus if I have a mishap with that one page i haven't got to reprint the whole lot.

julieHB

I bought myself a manual comb binder machine (approx. £25), some combs of varying thickness, 100g paper so that I can print double-sided and some pvc binding covers. Works a treat for tutorials as well as kids' school projects or anything else which is nice to keep bound! If you cannot get cheap ink for your printer it might not be such a good solution, though.

Comb Binder by JulieHB, on Flickr

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

BeeBeads

I like that idea Julie, it looks very professional!  And being able to turn the page and have it lie flat is a real bonus too rather than battling with a stiff binding and having to crease the page.  Your system looks really neat. 

firedinglass

That looks good Julie but you're right i can't get cheap ink for my lexmark printer.  I've tried various makes and they just come out light brown on the colour cartridge.  It's either change printer or find some other way of printing them up.  I'd also like some them in more of a spiral book form.  In the US you seem to be able to get it done more reasonably than printing up yourself by the time you count up ink, paper, folder and pockets etc.

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

julieHB

yep, my solution is only cheap if you have a printer that does good work with cheap replacement inks!
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

MangoBeads

Quote from: firedinglass on June 04, 2012, 05:41:56 PM
That looks good Julie but you're right i can't get cheap ink for my lexmark printer.  I've tried various makes and they just come out light brown on the colour cartridge.  It's either change printer or find some other way of printing them up.  I'd also like some them in more of a spiral book form.  In the US you seem to be able to get it done more reasonably than printing up yourself by the time you count up ink, paper, folder and pockets etc.

Before Flame off I priced up all options and could find no one to print a copy for under £11.00 Staples included . I used Julie's way and had to use proper ink as our printer is under guarantee they still came out much cheaper at £5 a tutorial ( based on my harlequin cab ) so it's still by far the cheapest option cheap ink or not , that's in this country anyway :)

Krysia@No98

-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

JaySpangles

My printer has a setting on the print screen under 'paper size and handling' called 'booklet printing'. It's not a fancy printer, just a Canon, so maybe other makes have a similar function.  I print all my tuts in this way, they come out A5 size so a 16 page tutorial would only take 4 sheets of paper.
You print the front sides, then put the paper back in and print the back sides on the reverse. 
It initially took a bit of thought to make sure I put the paper back in the manual feed the right way round.
They magically come out in the correct positions, when you fold them in half you get a little booklet, it's a bit smaller than the full A4 size but eminently useable, and a good saving on paper and ink. 
I have a long arm stapler, but treasury tags would work, as would a few deftly applied stitches.