What do you hold small pieces of glass with?

Started by Kimster, May 22, 2012, 08:41:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimster

I'm just starting to melt old pieces of stained glass into simple beads, but some of the pieces of glass are a bit short (ouch!) I imagine theres some sort of grippy tweezery things available but I'm not sure what I'm looking for! I do have some long tweezer type things but they're a bit pointy...Any ideas?

Redhotsal

You want one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350567445415

I just use a pair of needle nose pliers - but they do slip off quite a lot.... Maybe I should get one!  ::)

Jennie Lamb

Rod Holders!
I got mine from Agate 58 and they are fab, I know Sally Joyce sells them to I am sure she will be along and give you a link

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37075.0

Although they are designed for rods they hold flat too!

Kimster

Thanks Sally & Jenny, just what I need! Sally Joyce where are you ?!!  :D

Emma @ Tuffnell Glass

my fingers till they start to burn then just attach to a spare bit of stringer or glass that happens to be kicking about the bench  ;D

Kalorlo

I use needlenose pliers too. I've been occasionally tempted by the rod holders, but don't actually need them cos the pliers work fine  ;D

Kimster

Any old needlenose pliers or do they need to be special lampworking ones?  ::)

Redhotsal

Any old needle nose pliers, in my case. Though I use them for everything - pulling stringer, poking stuff. Don't think I could manage without mine.  :D

Kalorlo

Got mine from the local hardware shop: they're got a bit of a pattern inside to help with grip, aren't the shiny smooth (more expensive...) jewellery version.

polly put the kettle on

sallyx

Redhotsal

Sally - do you have a link to your rod holders? I'm sure there would be quite a few people interested?  ;)

MadelineBunyan

I thought for ages I don't need rod holders, I have tweezers, I have pliers (from the tool shed, cheap tool place in plymouth has huge £1 section of stuff inc pliers)

but then I got those ones from agate58, and they are brilliant (think they are similar to Sally's but those weren't available at the time)
the thing is, you can't grip a bit of glass with pliers and turn it all the way round at the same time can you?

lately I've been using lots of silver glass, must use every last bit!
often I'm just using the rod holders to hold one rod end while I stick another rod end to it, to make a longer bit to use.

although just as often I'm getting down to the last bit of a rod and with these I can just keep going, I am terrible for not using up rod ends unless they are expensive glass, so this means there are less rod ends for me to not use up.

Redhotsal

Quote from: MadelineBunyan on May 22, 2012, 09:58:04 AM

the thing is, you can't grip a bit of glass with pliers and turn it all the way round at the same time can you?

That is very true.

Bubblebeads

I have some of Sally and Alan's grippers for small pieces  if glass and stringers and they are great got mine at flame off and would not be without them  :) :) :)

ScarletLeonard

With my rods I just pick up another one and melt them together. Or I do also nearly burn my fingers off!
but if you are just using up odd pieces then yes a vote for Sally and Alans grippy.
agate58's are smooth and rounded so while that are fab for rods you aren't going to get much of a grip on the flat sheet because only the edges will touch the glass.