Pitting From Cooling Bubbles

Started by Barnacle Bay, May 11, 2012, 06:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnacle Bay

Hi,
Made a couple of beads earlier (1st attempt) first went puff as I brought it out of the bubbles too quick for a sneaky peak oops thermal shock syndrome  :D

The 2nd attempt was pretty good I thought, though I noticed that the cooling buubles had made pitting indentations on the surface. 
Now I'm wondering was that  due to be putting the bead in them too quickly   :-\

Cannot show a photo due to after trying to release bead from the mandrel it split in  half length ways along mandrel length (reading on another thread about those causes).

Apart from that - I'm hooked having another go in a mo, but any suggestions/advice are warmly received.  I think I may have to go on a course though  :)

Thanks in advance,

Louise

sparrow

Hi Louise,

yes, I think you answered your own question, it sounds like the bead was still too hot when you put it away - it can help holding it somewhere dark (like under your desk or workbench) to check that it isn't glowing anymore before you put it away :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Barnacle Bay

Thanks for that Sparrow - by th way, I love your work/creations simply stunning butterflys.

I'm thinking that it may have also split possibly due to me being a bit too mean on the bead release - I spread it out along the mandrel rather than leaving it thicker, and the bead just would not let go.  Never mind off to have another go  :)

BeeBeads

Hi Louise,
I always leave my beads in the vermiculite until the next day after I've finished torching.  I know you can probably safely remove them after a few hours but I've just got into the habit of leaving them overnight and, apart from it being something to look forward to the next day, I have very few breakages.  I've never used the bubbles, have always used vermiculite (a lot cheaper!) in a large deep bowl and it seems to work for me.
Do you think you could be taking them out too soon to have a look and/or remove them from the mandrels?
Sounds like you're having loadsa fun though!  ;D

Barnacle Bay

Hi Bee,

Yes I think I'm being far too eager to peak.  To be honest I wished I had bought just the vermiculite now  ::),  though will have to stick with the bubbles.  I have them heating up nicely in my slow cooker and will deffintely leave the beads in it  over night - no peaking promise  ;D

BeeBeads

Barnacle Bay

I know a few things I wish i had right now:

Frit & Stringers

Kiln

A brain

;D

flowerjasper

Hi,
glad you are having fun  ;)
I changed from vermiculite to bubbles and wouldnt change back, I get the pitting now and again its often on white glass, its just because they went in too hot,
If the bead has split dead in half then peaking is the cause  ;)
hope you have some pictures for us soon
sandy

SRJ

Hi Louise
I have masses of vermiculite if you'd like some..... it comes in such HUGE bags (compared to how much you need)  If I'm not cooking my beads straight away I cool them in a slow cooker with the stuff.  Anyway - if you'd like some, I'll take some to work with me. You can pick it up some time if you're passing.  (Clear a bit of stuff from my back porch)

Sue x

Barnacle Bay

Hi Sandy - what it the meaning of the term you use 'peaking' ?

SRJ - that would be excellent - I will pay you of course, will pop in Monday if thats ok with you  ;D

Off I go now to melt something!

Purple Cobwebs

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Lush!

Quote from: MamaQuilla on May 11, 2012, 08:10:28 PM

I think she meant "peeking"!  :D :D

Do watch that thin bead release, I had an absolute disaster with a batch of student beads this week because my bead release was too thin  :(

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

flowerjasper

SRJ - that would be excellent - I will pay you of course, will pop in Monday if thats ok with you  ;D

think its my essex accent  and bad spelling  :D  sneeky ( sneaky?) peeking before the beads are cool enough  ;D

Lush!

d'ya mean beeeeeeds, Sandy?   ;D ;D ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

SRJ

SRJ - that would be excellent - I will pay you of course, will pop in Monday if thats ok with you  ;D

No need for payment -it's cheap as chips. Will be good to meet you. Try to avoid 12 - 12.30 as i shall probably be at lunch....

Sue