Advice desperately needed in setting up HH on bulk!

Started by Kimster, April 25, 2012, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimster

I'm really trying to get my head (& jubilee clips, spanners etc..) round all this. I have bought an adjustable high pressure regulator (912/915 if that means anything) & 4.8 mm hose, having been given a link (thanks Tomcat) to Hamiltons. I think I've got the hose on the right part! I also have the HH connector & flashback arrestor from Tuffnells, but I don't seem to be able to use the arrestor as it doesn't fit on the regulator. I'm hoping I can manage without it until I get a dual fuel torch at some point in the future. Is there anything I should know about setting it up that isn't blindingly obvious? Also, do the gas pipes have to be pushed on absolutely as far as they will go? The connection to the HH still has about a 1cm gap & I just can't seem to get it any further on.
The installation guide for the regulator says to set the pressure on the regulator "to the required pressure" - will this be obvious when I turn the gas on?
Sorry for all the dumb questions! It's just not as obvious as I'd hoped..
Thanks, Kim     

lampworklover

Mine's a 4 bar regulator too.

Other, most important thing, is to check all your connections for leaks. Simplest way is with slightly dilute wasking up liquid. Smear it on and see if ti bubbles.

Kimster

I hope it is! That's what I ordered from a link..I don't know how to tell though. It does say 'up to 16 bar' inlet pressure on the info (outlet pressure up to 20 bar) so I presume it's the right one

sarah t

not sure i can be of much help but mine goes ...tube, outside of pipe brass clamp thingy,nut,arrestor,nut, regulator,nut, ball connection for gas bottle   ???......not that i did it myself got the ready made kit

try to make everything as tight and as close to fitting snugly as possible ,think brute force and washing up liquid may be the key  ;) as all the links are potential leak areas

i think its more likely to be the wrong pressure regulator if there is a problem

re setting the presssure regulator there are a few threads about settings try a search but mine is set about half way open ( or closed depending on how you see life ;)) i am on a duel fuel so it may be differnt for the HH but with a bit of tweeking you will find what works best for you and your torch

Kimster

Kay - have just re read the spec on Hamiltons site for this regulator, & it does say there 0.5 - 4 bar :)
Sarah - thanks for this, every little helps! :)

ScarletLeonard

On my HH I had the regulator screwed right down (which is fully open) General rule of thumb is you want a 6-7" flame when the torch is lit. 
I had my gas man connect everything up for me but it was all snug when he was done. I know I had a hard time getting the pip off the HH when I disconnected everything.

Kimster

Thanks Scarlett - almost ready to go now! Need a big glass of wine first... ;D

Kimster

Woo hoo!! All connected, gas roaring out & nice steady flame, first bead made !! Can't tell you how excited I am... Thanks all for all your help. One day I'll be brave enough to post my photos of "what I like to call beads" (love that quote) xx :D :D

Hazel

sarah t

Mandy

Brilliant, Im excited for you. Looking forward to seeing pics x

Jellybean

woo hoo you'll have to bring some with you next week!!! I want to seeee  ;D