Piping Propane through a wall

Started by Rosenquartz, April 21, 2012, 04:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosenquartz

Forgive me lampworkers, for I have sinned: it's been nearly three years since my last post!

I'd just progressed from a HotHead on MAPP gas to a Minor with bulk propape and an oxycon. I'd join in the banter on FH quite a bit for a while and I recognise some of the names still posting posting regularly. I stopped lampworking because my garage got too full of other stuff - including a new car (well, 20-odd years old actually!). But we're having a utility room built soon and I'll be adopting some of the space for my torch, oxycon, kiln and glass. I'm going to ask the builders to include a hole in the wall for a vent, and I want to also ask them to include something to get my gas in through the wall.

My question is this: could I install a copper gas pipe with some sort of connectors at each end for this and then have flexi hose going from one end to the tank and from the other end to the torch? Do you know what connectors to use and where to get them from? (I'm in Hertfordshire, UK.)

Also, my propane hose hasn't been used for nearly three years and a short length from the tank to a quick-release have lived outside (though in a sealed dustbin with the tank) - are these likely to have degraded? Would you recommend replacing them?

Thanks
Rosenquartz
Rosenquartz

BeeBeads

Hello ... sorry, can't help with your pipes ... but welcome back!  ;D

Margram

Hello, welcome back and I'll be watching your answers 'cos I want to do something similar soon! ;D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Corinne Lacy

Hi, I don't know your answer either but I do know that Jolene Wolfe of Kitz Bitz Art Glass on this forum has propane piped through her brick wall of her studio cos I have seen it!! I' sure she would be able to help you, I can't remember exactly how she did it.

Corinne.

Josephine

I had propane plumbed in through the wall to my workshop using copper pipe. I have two big cannisters outside with an automatic switch over so I never run out unexpectedly. There is a tap under each table to turn off the gas  to each torch and hosing running from there to the torch. I went to a local shop that fit gas fires, woodburners etc and took along the info for the torches (pressure, flashback etc) and they did it all for me.

Rosenquartz

Thanks all, I'll keep this in mind.

Gotta book that builder.
Rosenquartz

SallyR

Stumbled across this on LE the other week - the part numbers and suppliers are American but I'm sure you can get similar fittings over here.  Might give you a few ideas ...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125930

And welcome back!  :)
Sally
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want ...

Dragonfire Glass

Hubby just drilled a hole through the wall with stuffing around the hose to deter visitors

Rosenquartz

Quote from: SallyR on April 25, 2012, 07:23:01 PM

Stumbled across this on LE the other week - the part numbers and suppliers are American but I'm sure you can get similar fittings over here.  Might give you a few ideas ...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125930

And welcome back!  :)
Thanks for directing me to this - it'll help alot.
Rosenquartz

oliver90owner

Just read this one.  Copper through walls is OK as long as it doesn't come into contact with plaster, or possibly mortar.  The simple solution is a hosepipe sleeve through the wall.  Needs a bigger hole, but is the best way to prevent corrosion.  Time to failure may well be long, but a failure can be lethal... Be safe.

RAB