please can some help on using the Ring mandrel ?

Started by Angie Beadz, April 19, 2012, 01:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie Beadz

I really really want to make the "wheelie" bead (i think thats what there called ::)) with the ring mandrel, but no matter how hard i try it doesnt look right
its uneven in most places, and i cant seem to get a decent ring from it  :-\
i know its about hoew you put the glass on the mandrel but what is the best way?

Jennie Lamb

Hi Angie, the secret is getting a good footprint and making sure that is completely even and round then add your next layer of glass.....you need to work slowly if you work quickly and you are uneven it is really difficult if not impossible to straighten at the finishing stages.  The big mandrels are also more difficult to turn at a consistent speed which can make the wheel uneven try finding something you can rest the mandrel on as u turn it (I have a special rest my OH made me but before then I rested the end of the mandrel over one of the rests on my creation station to take the wait). Again make sure your mandrel is straight as u r rotating.   I never apply decoration until I am completely happy with the shape and I make sure if I am dragging dots for example that I take time to reshape after each process, make sure your bead is not to hot when you drag and that your tool is sharp or it will literally go pearshaped!  I think torches make a difference to, if you are on a hothead it is gonna be tricky to shape coz of the lack of heat.  I am on a Lynx which is great coz I have a good heat range to work in.  hope that makes sense.

Manda at Mango has the wheel queen Anita Shweigler-Juan coming to teach at her studio in October if you really want to learn that would be the course to do!

Good luck  ;D ;D

Pat from Canvey

I draw a light line on my dry bead release with what I think is a CD marker pen. That way, my footprint end meets up with the start otherwise theres a few mm between the start and end of the first footprint if you see what I mean.

Margram

Kristina Logan has made some super videos of making her big, dotty wheels: http://www.kristinalogan.com/videos.htm :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

helbels

I am very relieved that my thumb arthritis is unlikely to ever allow me to make a big wheel bead, so I will never need to face these issues - my thumb gets sore after about 10 minutes of turning a 5mm mandrel, let alone one of those whoppers!!!

Angie Beadz

So how do you lay the glass on the mandrel do you make a big glob first  ???

BTW the videos are just fantastic thanks for sharing

Angie Beadz

Ive posted these pics to show what i mean
ive had this mandrel for years and still cant get it right lol  >:(

Jennie Lamb

Angie you are not so far off....I would not start with a blob myself I would make sure your mandrel is nice and hot and then wrap the glass as you would for a smaller bead I usually do 2 wraps then spend time getting it completely round before I add any glass. It looks like your inner black layer is not evenly round so that is where your trouble started?  Did you try and shape yours with a tool?  I find that it is best to work with gravity and the flame and just take your time....I am sure you will get there.

Just a thought but Manda at Mangobeads sells some slightly smaller mandrels maybe try practicising on something slightly smaller rather than trying to make the leap from 3mm to 22mm in one jump!  Maybe someone can lend you something?  I would but I only have the big ones and nothing in the middle!

Angie Beadz

to be honest jennie i use marver, the flame and what ever else i can to get it straight LOL
and im on it for AGES trying to get it straight .
Good idea on the smaller mandrel never thought of that.
Although i can use the 4mm but never tried anything bigger apart from this one.

I just want to be able to make a toggle clasp using this bead  :'(

Angie Beadz

Margram

Another tip Angie - if you can't get the glass to move where you want it, try adding a bit more on the low side and melt in :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Angie Beadz

Ive tried that margram it does help somewhat
surely it cant be THAT hard, i must just be doing something wrong but dont know what!

Im perfect with the 4mm/5mm mandrel and use the same technique on the big mandrel but doesnt seem to work

mizgeorge

Just another little thing, but the ring mandrels are actually much too big to use as toggles - the bar has to be ridiculously long to avoid it slipping out, and the whole thing ends up being uncomfortably large. The 9 and 12mm size mandrels are much better for this.

Angie Beadz

Quote from: mizgeorge on April 19, 2012, 02:48:13 PM
Just another little thing, but the ring mandrels are actually much too big to use as toggles - the bar has to be ridiculously long to avoid it slipping out, and the whole thing ends up being uncomfortably large. The 9 and 12mm size mandrels are much better for this.

Wow REALLY??? i never knew this thanks so much for letting me know ;D im exited now ;D ;D

Ok so where do i get these size mandrels from they dont have any on tuffnels and just checked on off-mandrel they have the 1/2" ones