Drilling Glass

Started by Firo, March 31, 2012, 04:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firo

I am trying to drill small holes in fused glass earrings and pendants but cannot seem to find diamond tip drill bits that fit a dremel.
I have drilled some with a glass and tile bit but it took forever and after a few it seemed to get blunt and my hands were cramping.
Any ideas, stockists (online) really gratefully received to make my life a little easier.
thanks

Avril

Warm Glass sell these - sets and singles

dinah46

Diamond drill bits from here, http://www.manchesterminerals.co.uk/acatalog/Lapidary_accessories.html#aDiaDrill  half way down the page, should do the trick as long as you keep the bit cooled while drilling - under water in a little tub is best (obviously with all the normal caution with electric tools near water etc)

mizgeorge

The best diamond bits I've come across are from the fab Eternal Tools http://www.eternaltools.com/diamond-drill-bits/

(their small diamond files are fantastic as well)

Firo

Thanks you guys I now kniw where to order from. Many thanks  ;D

Carl

I can also vouch for eternal tools very friendly and helpfull people. I used their 3mm diamond core drills to put holes in fused glass incense burners but even using the slow speeds recommended on their web site the bit only managed 4 holes.

stuwaudby

Just google for diamond core drills or diamond wire drill. The cheap ones work reasonably well.

Blue Box Studio

I get mine from a guy in the US who used to be on Ebay but darn if I can find his name right now (senior moment) - sells by the 100 so you get hit for customs but I found they lasted as long as the Eternal Tools ones but are far far cheaper.  

ETA - David Clayton http://www.jadecarver.com/DiamondTools.htm - 100 x 1.5mm drills were $75 + P&P, he has all sizes.  I use them for drilling sea glass, they might do a couple of pieces, they might do 10 but suspect some of that is me getting impatient.  I use them in a Dremel fitted in a drill press.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

micpru

Warm glass.  2mm diamond drill bit at approx £3 a drill!
Michaela x

Glyn Burton

Axminster power tools do a box of assorted (20) for about £7

Correction ! I just looked it up its 30 for £5.85. If you need a pendant drill their heavy duty version is fantastic.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Glyn Burton on April 03, 2012, 05:53:23 PM
Axminster power tools do a box of assorted (20) for about £7

Correction ! I just looked it up its 30 for £5.85. If you need a pendant drill their heavy duty version is fantastic.

Why can't I find them on their site.  Have you got a link Glyn?

Agree, their tools are fantastic.
Sue

Glyn Burton

Sorry but I am a bit dim with things like links but the product reference is:
Diamond burrs 410037
Pendant drill 300228
If you go to www.axminster.com and put in the reference numbers it should come up (hopefully).

micpru

Warm glass 2mm and attach to my dermel and drill on a bit of wood immersed in water x
Michaela x

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Glyn Burton on April 03, 2012, 09:08:20 PM

If you go to www.axminster.com and put in the reference numbers it should come up (hopefully).

Confused by drills in a carpet company - it's www.axminster.co.uk if anyone else is looking.
Sue

Hamilton Taylor

That made me larf. We need a 'like' button...