Main Menu

Glass eye

Started by Fessler Forge, March 15, 2012, 12:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fessler Forge

I'm new to the forum and another member *Angie* suggested I post one of my glass eyes in this thread. I've only made a few so here it goes...

eye

Side of eye by fesslerforge, on Flickr

It's about 26mm across. It has a clear cornea so the iris and pupil you see in the side view is only a reflection, similar to the effect of looking at the side of a real eye.

Thanks for looking & thanks Angie  ;D
Scott
Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness. Freedom discovers man/woman the moment he/she loses concern over what impression he/she is making or about to make.
~ Bruce Lee

Glassy Lou

That's amazing.
I can just imagine a whole row of them looking at me.
On second thoughts, that might be a bit creepy  ;)
Welcome to FH too - I'm sure I forgot to say that previously.

Louise

SilverGems89

WOW, that's one really amazing eyeball! I want one!

Hamilton Taylor

GaysieMay

Do you make these for a living, or just for fun?  I appreciate the technical difficulty, but to be honest I find them a bit spooky, saw lots once in some sort of museum needless to say I felt I was being watched!  ;D
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

greenbeadenvy

Emma xx

Lakelady

Turner Rowe Glass Art

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Margram

It's beautiful and disturbing at the same time! ;D (And how did you get the mini one in your message??? :))
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Fessler Forge

Thanks everyone! I really haven't shown my stuff to anyone so the feed back is welcome.

Quote from: GaysieMay on March 15, 2012, 08:04:04 AM
Do you make these for a living, or just for fun? 
Nope I've never sold any glass. I've only made three eyes and they were just a test to see if I could do it.

I'm thinking of using the technique as the backer for marbles...now I just have to figure out how Glenn (Steampunk Glass) does it  ;D

I do find it interesting the reactions people have to eyes. They always seem to weird people out and yet they are fascinated by them at the same time.

Quote from: Margram on March 15, 2012, 08:42:13 AM
It's beautiful and disturbing at the same time! ;D (And how did you get the mini one in your message??? :))
The mini eye by my signature is just a emoticon, not unlike your smiles. You can easily snag emoticons from anywhere on the internet and use them anywhere else, via hot linking. If you Google 'emoticons' you will find many pages with galleries of emoticons. This page has quite the list: http://www.myemoticons.com
Then all you have to do is click and drag to highlight the emoticon you want, just like highlighting text, it should turn blue. Then right click and select 'Copy image URL' different browsers may word it differently. Come back here to the forum and click the button for inserting an image. In between the [img][/img] paste the URL you just copied. It's that easy.

Scott
Art reaches its greatest peak when devoid of self-consciousness. Freedom discovers man/woman the moment he/she loses concern over what impression he/she is making or about to make.
~ Bruce Lee

garishglobes

I've had eyes for sale and found the same - people either back away, or are fascinated. I did have a teacher who wanted one so that she could keep an eye on her class!

I think it is brilliant - really precise, too. It looks to be quite different to the way I learnt to make eyes - are you using twisties?

Redhotsal

It's beautiful. I love EYE marbles and beads. Nice detail in the iris.  ;D

Fessler Forge

Quote from: garishglobes on March 15, 2012, 09:20:14 AM
It looks to be quite different to the way I learnt to make eyes - are you using twisties?
No one showed me how, I just made up my own technique but as with all techniques, I'm sure someone has done it before.
I am using twisties. Before I put the twisties down I put a dot of transparent color, obviously a blue was used for the eye in the photo. I make the twisties by mixing about 4 different colors and clear. It's about a 50/50 mix of color and clear. I find using lots of clear in the twisties helps create better striations in the iris. Then I lay about 3 or 4 very thin layers of the twisties on top of each other (I just do it until it looks right). I lay them down by going from the exterior edge of the iris to the center. Then a dot of black in the center and caped with a blob of clear on top of that. Not much to it.

~Scott
~ Bruce Lee

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Fessler Forge on March 15, 2012, 09:14:06 AM

I'm thinking of using the technique as the backer for marbles...now I just have to figure out how Glenn (Steampunk Glass) does it  ;D
I won't use that as the back of the marble, way too nice on it's own, that's so got to be the front! My secret isn't really a secret... Mostly I chuck stuff in and hope for the best!  ;) Last time I tried to do eye marbles they looked awful, yours look really real!