Steph - how did you ge on with your grinder?

Started by beadysam, September 01, 2007, 06:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beadysam

Steph,
I jus wondered how you got on with the grinder you got a while back?  I did Dora Schuberts class at P&T and she had some beads that she had flat-lapped - now I have the urge to grind! :-[ LOL!
So how'd you get on?  Would you recommend the machine? ???
cheers
SAM x

Stacy

Hey Sam,

Sorry to barge in on your thread with Steph, but just wanted to say that I have a grinder that I use to smooth the edges for my stained glass work. I have no idea if it is the same type of thing you would use for beads - mine is a Glastar Diamondstar Grinder.

If it turns out it is the same thing, then when we make some plans to meet up you are more than welcome to come here and give it a go.

♥♥Tan♥♥

I love my grinder thats a glastar superstar too, its well worth having!!

Les

I'd love a go at cold working beads someday..... I've seen some amazing flat lapped beads with the core exposed... very clever :)

handmadeheaven.biz

yeah, it's good but i've been lazy and not used it much! should do really after all that expense! it's a good tool and was a good investment. cold-worked jewellery is on my 'to do' list :P

♥♥Tan♥♥

Quote from: Les on September 02, 2007, 12:58:16 PM
I'd love a go at cold working beads someday..... I've seen some amazing flat lapped beads with the core exposed... very clever :)

got any gorgeous pics missus.......and how do they polish them again, do you know?

Les

I have absolutely no idea... lol.... lemme see if I can find a piccie ??

Here... I hope Kalera doesn't mind me snagging an image off her site.....  :-\

This is one gooooorrrrrgeous beadie !!!!! I love Kalera's 'geode' beads... one very talented lady there !!

No idea as to how it's polished up though.. ?? ??

beadysam

I think (but I'm probably wrong!) that you just go through gradually higher and higher grits until you are polishing rather than grinding.  That bead of Kalera's is the kind of thing I fancy doing - Dora had a couple that were nice too.  I love geodes and that kind of thing, so I have a few ideas...

Quote from: stacyemma on September 01, 2007, 07:04:09 PM
Hey Sam,

Sorry to barge in on your thread with Steph, but just wanted to say that I have a grinder that I use to smooth the edges for my stained glass work. I have no idea if it is the same type of thing you would use for beads - mine is a Glastar Diamondstar Grinder.

If it turns out it is the same thing, then when we make some plans to meet up you are more than welcome to come here and give it a go.
Thanks chuck, that sounds like fun! ;)

*rowanberry*

have you ever seen the fused painted glass beads by Bruce St. John Maher that have been ground, faceted and polished? I dont think its a flat lap but a lap wheel instead that he uses.

http://www.gemcutter.com/maher.htm

I reccommend the Jim Kervin book about him, its got lots of hints and makes me want some sort of grinder now :-) theres some stunning pyramids in that book too.

In Di East's Jim Kervin book she uses just the diamond flat pads (without the machine) to grind down windows if I recall correctly.
Claire

beadysam

His beads are amazing aren't they?  I've got that booklet - doesn't it look like fun? ;D

*rowanberry*

its amazing isnt it! does make me so wanna grind... am seriously thinking about doing some fused painted stuff for days when I dont have lampworking mojo...
just need the pennies to get set up and get a grinder or flat lap!
Claire

♥♥Tan♥♥

oh gawd its too tempting just to give it a go .....

Thanks for that gorgeous pic Les....wow that is a fantastic beadie.....

And thanks for the heads up on Bruce Claire.......wow that is some serious eye candy too.Those beads are like tiny japanese paintings

*rowanberry*

I can lend you my jim kervin booklet on him if thee wants, Tan?
Claire