Bobcat and natural gas?!

Started by Delana, March 03, 2012, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delana

I know there was an old thread concerning natural gas hook up and was going to reply with my question there but had a red text pop up informing me that there had been no posts for more than 120 days.....so I thought I'd post my question as a new thread....sorry if it should be some where else.

I've got a bobcat and was just wondering if anyone else used this torch with natural gas.  We are installing a new boiler next month and have already had the gas hookup installed so I was thinking why not have the workmen hook up my studio at the same time they install the boiler but I'd like to make sure it'll work for me first.  The GTT site says
QuoteFuel pressures can be run as low as 1/4 PSI on Natural gas or Propane.  The Bobcat makes the most heat out of the available fuel and oxygen for an extremely clean flame with no carbon on the torch when run properly.

it'd be great not to have to worry if my propane tank is getting low.....now if I could only have an oxygen line installed  ;D 

Thanks for any pearls of wisdom you may be able to bless me with  ;)

Redhotsal

Don't know about the Bobcat but I do know that all the torches on Murano run on natural gas and it's a beautiful soft slightly bushy flame. I wish I could use it. I think Lucio Bubacco's torches are Carlisles, so I would think you'd be okay. I'm fairly sure there are also natural gas users in here who will be able to tell you what theirs are like.....  :D

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I'm running my bobcat on natural gas without any difficulty at all. Someone did tell me that there wouldn't be enough pressure for a bobcat but they were definitely wrong.
Go for it.

Kaz

You'd need to check the pressure of the domestic gas. My gas engineer DH does not believe that there is sufficient pressure in a standard UK supply to fire through the torch and get the same level of heat we get from propane. Hence the bushy flame I guess?
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Donna@Rockin' Beads

I use domestic gas, under normal pressure. There is no bushy flame. It's fine, honest  :)

ARBeads

If I remember rightly Sean (Off Mandrel) runs on domestic also I know Carole Mcalister is. I think its the flash back arrestor that's the problem, you need a special one.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Delana

Oh nice tip concerning the FB arrestor!! I'm going to contact my gas company to find out about that and also to ask what pressure I can expect.  Thanks for the comments all!  I really appreciate it!  ;D

Kaz

DH says you need a non-return valve but still uneasy with combining it with oxygen inside domestic premises.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Hamilton Taylor

I used to run on natural gas - minors, bobcats, midrange and bethlehem barracuda for a while. The bigger torches weren't operating to full capacity due to low pressure, but the smaller ones ran just fine. Move studio now, so back on bottled propane.

Sean