Small Scale Local Craft Events

Started by Les, February 29, 2012, 08:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Les

Sorry I've not been around on here quite so much lately ... I just don't seem to have the time after I've finished with shop stuff n pushing my face out there on the book ...

I have had a very interesting, and slightly terrifying proposal put to me recently ... Basically I have been handed the opportunity to set up an small scale craft / designer / wot not fair, as part of a local arts festival in May .... I had a very enthusing day with a friend, to discuss possibilities, but I am still a bit kind of unsure as to whether to take it on.

Basically, it'll be a one day event ... we have the use of a room, for which I pay the fee .... table fee's are to be kept low, and after a donation to the building's charity, I can take the rest of the table fees as profit.

The overall theme of this event is location, more than product ... originally we thought of drawing makers from just the Staffordshire Moorlands, but we did then discuss widening our catchment area to The Midlands.

The venue is just out of the town centre, but happens to be opposite a large car park, so there would be lots of visibility.
Apparent;y, someone else can do the advertising, etc ....

Leek arts festival has been going for some years now, but we did feel that the music element had kind of taken focus away from the visual arts a bit ....

Anyway ... I am rambling here .... my main reason for posting was to just ask if any of you guys have had any experience of arranging something like this ? Whether it be for your local school or as a fundraiser, etc ??

Any thoughts, hints or tips would be much appreciated ....

Thanks in advance,

Les xx

SRJ

Yes, but not in a very long time....

I'm sure you have experience of being on the other end of the equation ie an exhibitor and/or a customer, so think about what worked for you  - or didn't.  How much space you need, electricity, PL insurance, cancellation charges, set up time, parking, refreshments etc etc.   Maybe rope in extra helping hands and have your own stall.... You'll work it out.  ALso needto look at building's insurance, fire regs etc.  I assume they are all details
available from the premises' owner and should be in the details of your rental contract
It's a great opprtunity.  I'd go for it - and enjoy it!
Good luck
Sue

Les

The building is being used by a small, local co-operative at the moment .... it's kind of their idea to hold the fair. They have held a few events before, which have been pretty well attended, so I hear.

As far as I know, all the legal stuff at their end is in place ... I would have to ask for sellers to have their own PL insurance too, of course.

There may also be the possibility of doing lampwork demonstrations too.
It was suggested that we could invite one of the local schools' PTA's to come on board to provide refreshments and raise a few quid for the school too ...

There are so many possibilities ... I guess I'm just a wee bit scared that it'll flop and I'll end up looking like a proper wassock

Les

*Update*

Umm ..... I've just been offered a date .... 3rd Saturday in May

I am tempted to take the plunge .... *paces up and down, smoking and necking coffee*

Steampunkglass

I am sure you won't look a complete wassock! The PTA thing sounds like a good idea, as that'll hopefully mean the entire school and parents will get to hear about it. If you don't mind me saying from my limited experiance of being a trader at small events there was one bit in there that might worry me
QuoteApparently, someone else can do the advertising, etc ....

ekk! That stikes a small note of terror to me, as it really depends on who/how are going to do the advertising. The first event I ever traded at was 'well advertised' and in the centre of a busy shopping centre. However what I found out was that the 'well advertised' was that they'd told people in their local church, and put up an easel with an sign outside - in a corner out of the way. The hall was indeed in the town centre, down a very dark empty coridor with no signs and up two flights of stairs. 4 people turned up, and apart from one they were friends of the organiser.

I'd still say go for it, but make sure it's really well advertised; you might want to organise your own advertising and press coverage yourself to make sure it's done properly. Personally I think it's probably the most important part of the event, and I think you could do well  ;) :)

Les

Thankfully, my friend (who threw this opportunity my way) knows all the in's and out's. I control the material .... She has all the contacts. She's a very good community development officer with loads of creative type contacts :-)

Steampunkglass

Cool, sounds like a winner  ;D ;D ;D Good luck, although I am sure that it'll go down a storm!  ;D

Les

He he ... It's so blummin scary, arranging your own event !! It's so easy when you turn up as a seller, cos all the work's been done for you, LOL

I have a couple of days to think about it anyway ... there's a deadline for the event advertising as it's part of an arts festy .... eek !

jammie

I'd say go for it. Really apart from the wassak look you haven't got anything to lose and from what I know of you from on here I think you can do it without getting that particular look. Also if you don't you will wonder if you should have else you would have run a mile when the idea was put forward, instead you've seriously thought about t. Maybe just a what could go wrong list and if it did how could you resolve it would mean you had pretty much covered your doubts and then not be scared as to what might happen...or not.... also you never know where it might lead.  :)
I reckon you can do this well.  :)

Les

I think my biggest worry would be poor takings on the day for everyone ... I guess that's down to the advertising really ...

Thanks guys :) x

tinker

Yeah but if all the advertising is in place then thats completely out of your control! Wouldnt sweat that one tbh.

Its a brilliant opportunity Les, I would grab it with both hands. There are waiting lists for well run craft fairs and you are so well placed to make that happen. I just wish I lived closer, I'd be biting off your hand off for a stall :)

Les

Thanks matey :)

I think I need to sit and write a few lists ... if I decide to go for it, I'll be rayte busy ! :D

Zeldazog

Sounds like a great opportunity Les, although I'd be worried too  ;D ;D

But as already said, you're well placed to know the sort of things that are important to makers, probably the best perspective ever.  And great to be part of the festival!