quick question about bleeding pipes...

Started by lampworklover, February 04, 2012, 07:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lampworklover

When I was on my Hothead, at the end of a session, I always shut off the gas and bled the pipes by burning off the propane left in the pipes. I understand that propane left in the hosing may degrade the rubber more quickly.

Now I have upgraded. (I may have mentioned that just a *few* times this weekend)  I followed the instructions that came with the Oxycon, shut the oxygen and propane, then opened them both to let any excess gases escape.

It is still possible/ necessary to burn off the excess propane, or will it all go shooting back up the oxygen pipes and catch fire  :o? Sorry if it's a silly question  :D

helbels

Hi Tina

I always drain both oxygen and propane after a session, and have never come to harm!

sarah t

i turn off the torch at the knobs , then close the gas at the tank ,turn off the oxycon,then relight the torch in the normal way till the gas runs out ,turn off gas knob on the torch and leave oxygen open till run out...i think .....i do it automatically so writting it down is tricky

i only do this at the end of a session and not when taking a break

GaysieMay

I don't burn it off I just open it up and let the fumes go up my extraction pipe till the pressure tells me its done.
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Steampunkglass

I just turn the propane off on the cylinder then shut down the oxycons, and let the propane burn until it runs out. I don't really worry about draining the oxys right down as they are old and leaky so they seem to naturally loose the oxygen!

Magpie

I press the button to turn the oxycon off, go outside and turn the propane cylinder off, back inside, turn the propane up a bit (don't let it hit the kitchen wall), put the kettle on, skip to next segment on kiln, swap the washing into the dryer, then the flame is usually out so I turn off the propane knob on the torch and leave the oxycon to do its own thing. The oxygen knob on the torch is only really turned off to light the torch.

SilverGems89

i do the same as Glenn, only i open my oxy knob after the flame has gone out to get rid of any oxygen faster, once that's done, all knobs off on the torch  ;D