What's sandblasting all about?

Started by Rachel, August 19, 2007, 07:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel

Hi all

Haven't actually fused anything yet - still in the process of reading and getting it clear in my head.  I've seen sandblasting mentioned several times.  I'm assuming that you can do this to give the glass a matt look?

So is that all it's used for or is it a necessary part of the fusing/finishing process? :-\

Cheers - Rachel

littlegiggles

with glass work there are two phases hot work and cold work.  Sandblasting is one of the cold work techniques which as you say gives the piece a matt finish, it can also etch the piece to remove layers of glass to give an interesting effect... the matt finish is more intense than etching

its not and essential part of a piece but can create interesting effects

Rachel

Thanks Julie - that's a relief.  I was thinking - oh no more money to spend :)

CelticGlass

Lorra subjects on here keep bouncing around like a power ball..... sandblasting search found my old thread.....

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3256.msg61879#msg61879

Zeldazog

I've not tried sandblasting anything that I have fused out of coloured Bullseye, but I have used it to great effect on float glass (as well as giving the matt look, it got rid of a few fingerprints that wouldn't go away....)

Now, sandblasting Bullseye - there's an idea to try .......  :)

beadysam

I did a bit when doing stained glass at college, good fun and nice effects.  Hubby has got an unused cabinet in his workshop - must dig it out.... ;)

Mary

I've seen sandblasted beads, where sections are masked off in different stages. They were 3D, like really swish cameos. Cool!