Can anyone explain this.

Started by ScarletLeonard, January 12, 2012, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarletLeonard

Finally got the minor set how I feel comfortable working as far as all the pictures of a good neautral flame go mine looks normal and this is all good.

But every so often the flame goes tiny only a couple of inches of visable flame the oxy lpm hasn't changed and I'm not fiddling with anything.

Is it normal or is there something wrong in my set up that's causing hiccups.

Hamilton Taylor

Is it tiny and oxidising (pointy), tiny and reducing (yellow) or tiny but still neutral?
If 1) then check your propane regulator, maybe add a bit more pressure. also check for hose obstructions an' stuff, obv.
If 2) then the oxycon just took a breather - maybe internal regulator set too high?
If 3) then that's just weird...

Sean

ScarletLeonard

Yep it is a tiny oxidosing flame. I've just adjusted my regulator and it seems to be behaving now.

Thanks Sean

Hamilton Taylor

No Problem. I've had the same thing, and it's usually when the gas is cold (winter). I think part of the problem is that I've been using 0-4 bar regulators, and we only need a supply of about 5psi to the torch. That's 1/3 of a bar - which means the regulator is operating right at the bottom of its range. Have yet to get around to trying a smaller-range regulator, tho'...