Total cost to upgrade to DF

Started by Beansprout, December 15, 2011, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beansprout

Hey everyone

I'm on a HH with propane atm, and I get nervous when doing bigger beads because the HH can't keep the bead hot enough, and I worry that I'm using too much gas when I try and work the bead for longer, due to the non-hotness (yea thats a word.. right).

SO I'd love to (eventually) upgrade to a Dual Fuel torch when I have sufficient funds (could be aeons before that happens)

What do I need to fully upgrade? From the sounds of my extensive (spending an evening on tuffnells drooling over torches) research, I need:

A shiny new Torch - £300-500
Oxycon - £500
A kiln (bigger beads means better annleaing- I'm using vermi. in a tin atm, serves me well enough) - £600

Soo..

If my calculations are correct, thats just over £1500. Phwoar.

Does that sound right?

Apologies for bringing up the inevitably painful amount of pennies that most of you have spent. But it'll be worth it in the end .. *repeats chant*

theknittinggoddess

Deep breath

and back to the tuffnells sight

for £500 you get a torch, oxycon, hoses and even safety glasses.

Hugs

Jx

Lush!

Nope, its nowhere near that much!

An oxygen concentrator kit - which includes oxycon, minor torch and all the propane set up - is only £500.  You've already got the propane hosing, regulator, flashback arrestor stuff so you only need the oxycon which is £235 and a torch, a minor is only £175.

And a beadcube from Kilncare is from £466.

So that's more like £876  ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Redhotsal

Quote from: Lush! on December 15, 2011, 11:42:34 AM

And a beadcube from Kilncare is from £466.

Blimey, that's a good price - is Lee having a sale? I thought they were over £500? If the price is right that's really good.

Yep - as Julie says.

Lush!

Actually they've gone up since last time I looked, Sal!  :D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Jeanniegems

You've just missed Martins 72 hour sale at tuffnells, but their kit is still excellent value. I just splurged and bought a second kit, hope to do classes next year down here in deepest Cornwall. Delivery was fast, well packed and all ready to go. Also some lovely decorations as a present for my tree, lovely.

Jeannie x
www.jeanniegems.co.uk
www.jeanniegems.etsy.com

Beansprout

Oh..

Oh my.

Oh deary dear.

That is a much nicer number.

May have to email Martin to see if he could a little something special. By the time the next flame off comes around I may have enough money... Bwahaha dangerous!

Thankyou so much everyone!

I'm getting a little excited by this. Just a little.

lampworklover

Quote from: Beansprout on December 15, 2011, 02:50:11 PM
Oh..

Oh my.

Oh deary dear.

That is a much nicer number.

May have to email Martin to see if he could a little something special. By the time the next flame off comes around I may have enough money... Bwahaha dangerous!

Thankyou so much everyone!

I'm getting a little excited by this. Just a little.

You are not alone! I am saving for a new set-up, and DH (my Boss) has just told me I'll be getting a small Christmas bonus to add to the pot. Might be worth keeping an eye out on the For Sale section here, in case anyone gets a new torch for christmas and wants to sell their old one (I'm hoping so!!!).

Beansprout

Great idea LWL :)

I'll be on it like a hawk.

helenfc

If you guys can hold on til flame off (unlikely :P ;D )I got my bobcat discounted from tuffnells a couple of years ago as it had been used as a demo on the two days. At least I knew it worked too! X

Beansprout

Helen, this would be sensible, as I don't have any funds yeettt. But I'm itching. Buzzing. Y'know? I haven't LWed for ... months.. *cries a little inside* so the excitement of the prospect of new and shiny things is way more concentrated xD

...4 months isn't too long.

*twitches*

Emerald

Jo

www.etsy.com/shop/jowalker68
www.jowalkerstudiojeweller.co.uk
www.flickr.com/account

lampworklover

Quote from: helenfc on December 15, 2011, 07:29:15 PM
If you guys can hold on til flame off (unlikely :P ;D )I got my bobcat discounted from tuffnells a couple of years ago as it had been used as a demo on the two days. At least I knew it worked too! X

I might have enough saved by then, but iFO is too far now I live at the ends of the earth  ;). All things come to those who wait, or so I'm told.

Pauline

Quote from: lampworklover on December 15, 2011, 10:04:53 PM

I might have enough saved by then, but iFO is too far now I live at the ends of the earth  ;). All things come to those who wait, or so I'm told.

It looks as if you are at pembroke dock and I'm going for both days so if you can get to Bridgend I can take you the rest of the way ;)

lampworklover

Quote from: Pauline on December 15, 2011, 11:33:11 PM
Quote from: lampworklover on December 15, 2011, 10:04:53 PM

I might have enough saved by then, but iFO is too far now I live at the ends of the earth  ;). All things come to those who wait, or so I'm told.

It looks as if you are at pembroke dock and I'm going for both days so if you can get to Bridgend I can take you the rest of the way ;)

That's very kind of you! Can't say for sure, as it's also DD's birthday (14) , so I'll need to do a lot of negotiating  ;)