The Candles on my Bobcat have disappeared

Started by SallyB, December 12, 2011, 06:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SallyB

Hello

I'm not really sure what to ask here.  I'm very stuck and a bit fed up after a rubbish day of making nothing because the candles on my Bobcat have disappeared.

Sal wrote this in a thread about lighting a dual fuel torch and it's exactly what's happening to me:
"...If you are familiar with your propane flame leaping up and there being a gap pf several inches between the flame and the torch you're seeing air, not oxygen coming through the oxygen line..."

I take from this that my problem is air and not oxygen coming from my oxycon but I'm not really sure how to fix it.  I don't know if anyone is able to help.  I keep lighting my torch and hoping for a miracle.

I've had two conversations with Tuffnells who were helpful and thought it was probably a leak - I did have a leak which I've fixed and now think I possibly haven't fixed safely after reading some other stuff - I couldn't think what to use to settled on PVA glue.  I identified the leak, on Tuffnell advice, with the diluted washing up liquid - and have since tested it and it's fine.

Time is running out before school's out lunchtime Friday and I really wanted a day of melting before that happened.

Regards
Sally

sarah t

if the oxycon is working properly (no flashing lights ) and there are no leaks in the length of the pipe or any of the connections try running the oxycon for a while before starting torching with the torch valve open slighty

oxycons dont like damp or cold.... i bring mine in from the shed this time of year

check your gas is not on the way out,the gas conections and the regulator too

i dont have a bobcat so dont know if it has any querks ...someone who has one might be able to offer more advice

SallyB

Thank you Sarah
I haven't checked the hose length for leaks so far, just the connections.
I have no flashing lights on the OxyCon so that's a good sign from what you've said.
I always let it run for a few minutes before I light the torch but maybe I need to let it run for longer.

I specifically asked Tuffnells (assume was Martin) about the cold and he said its rare for the oxycons to be affected by the cold.

I'll try checking th hose length tomorrow. That seems a good next step.

Thank you
Sally

Redhotsal

Quote from: SallyB on December 12, 2011, 06:59:54 PM
I've had two conversations with Tuffnells who were helpful and thought it was probably a leak - I did have a leak which I've fixed and now think I possibly haven't fixed safely after reading some other stuff - I couldn't think what to use to settled on PVA glue.  I identified the leak, on Tuffnell advice, with the diluted washing up liquid - and have since tested it and it's fine.
I don't think PVA glue is a good fix at all.
I know people think that these oxycons are nice and safe because they're not pressurised but you're still handling 95% pure oxygen and as such it is a hazardous substance. If you don't know what's wrong with your gas lines - either propane or oxygen please don't bodge fix them. I don't want to be a scare mongerer but you can't screw around with gas.
If the oxycon is broken and if it's under warranty then you should get the supplier to fix it.
It sounds to me that your oxycon does have an oxygen leak within the unit.

SallyB

Thank you Sal
I appreciate your advice.
I'll try Sean in the morning since that's who I bought it through. So disappointing.

Sally

SallyB

Thanks again for the advice you gave me.
Trevor is being swapped.  Bit sad about that because I took it as a sign when the Oxycon originally arrived since Trevor was my boss' name before I gave up work.

I await the new one and thanks again.

Sally