SC2 overshooting

Started by awrylemming, December 01, 2011, 08:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awrylemming

I've just ramped up my kiln on the usual garaging program (as advised on the FH thread) and for the first time ever it has overshot temperature.  It hit 594 then shouted at me.  How rude!  Soooooooooo, should I be worried?  Do I put it back on now, or leave it until I've spoken to somebody.  Faff with the program.  Sacrifice a couple of my children to the kiln gods?

Kalorlo

Does it go up at full? I think there was a thingy saying you can set the ramp to a highish but non-FULL number instead to help prevent overshooting.

awrylemming

It does, but never had any problem before .... should I give that a go d'ja think? 

ETA Actually I've just checked it and have it on the second schedule ramping up at 700.  So it shouldn't be overshooting, I don't think.  Dammit, I can't afford for the kiln to be unwell right now!

Trudi

Quote from: Kalorlo on December 01, 2011, 08:27:13 PM
Does it go up at full? I think there was a thingy saying you can set the ramp to a highish but non-FULL number instead to help prevent overshooting.

I've had that happen to me too when it was ramping too fast ..... let us know how you get on x

awrylemming

What happened with yours in the long run Trudi?  I've restarted the program and this time it was fine, until I finished my session and skipped a segment.  Then it ramped up very quickly and overshot again before readjusting itself.  This doesn't usually happen, so I'm a little concerned.

Blue Box Studio

If I go 'full' mine overshoots so I ramp slightly less than full and not had a problem so far.  But then in fairness,  I now put it on overnight and rarely sit and watch it.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Trudi

When I reduced the ramp speed it was better.

Thinking back a few weeks .... I had trouble with the kiln suddenly loosing heat during a session - I replaced the relay and it's been fine!!

You can get a relay from  http://www.penninecomponents.co.uk/
1 x T92 Series, Flange Mounted, 30A, DP N/O
  (4952343)
GBP 6.60 + GBP 1.32 VAT (20%)

P&P was a bit more but delivery was very quick. Might be worth a try if you're still having problems. If you do go that route - PM me and I cab forward in instructions showing you how to replace it!

Good luck x

awrylemming

Thanks Trudi
I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days, although I'm wondering if it's worth having one in stock just in case ...  ;D

awrylemming

Well, part all ordered and ready to go, so hopefully, if it's needed I'll be able to sort the kiln on Monday  ;D  Thanks Trudi  :-*

Trudi

No problem, do you need me to send the info advising how to change it?

awrylemming

Would you mind?  Even if I don't need to use it immediately, it's worth printing off and keeping with the part.  Unless it should be posted as a sticky for others in the same predicament, possibly?

firedinglass

yes please do post it for all of us SC2 users to have for info just in case!  I think i will also order the relay.  I find things usually go wrong on bank holidays or just when i really need them!!!!!  Hope you manage to sort  out your problem  with the kiln Sue. :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

awrylemming

Thanks hun - I haven't ramped up since, as I had a lot on at my daughters school, but we're now done with the fair (apart from clearing up), so hopefully I'll have time to play now.