Ducting question

Started by Hazer, November 28, 2011, 06:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazer

I couldn't really find the answer to this in past topics (apologies if it was right in front of me the whole time). I'm saving up for ventilation, but before I buy one with ducting, I need to know if it would still function properly if I secured a very fine mesh over the end - I've read that insects can be sucked up into the ducting, and I don't want that to happen, so that seemed to me to be a solution! If that's not possible, does any one else have any other ideas? :-*
ContinuumDesigns- artisan polymer clay beads for one-of-a-kind designs.

The FHFTeam - featuring glass, jewellery and art handmade in the UK.

awrylemming

I had a very large fly get sucked into my ventilation, and it buzzed rather angrily (and safely) out of the other end  ;D

Blue Box Studio

I would have thought anything over the 'in' end would have reduced efficiency and, if anything like my set up, have got hot.  My 'out' end is attached to vent in the wall, I don't care what goes out that end other than fumes.  Personally I'd rather that anything flying or crawling around my shedio was sucked up out of the way rather than distracting me when I'm sat at a hot torch.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Hazer

Hmm, I was afraid the mesh would make the ducting get hot. I'm glad to hear that some insects do make it out alive, but I'd really like to find a system that won't be responsible for lots of insect death :( Can anyone offer any advice on this?
:-*

spexy

I have some metal mesh over the end of my ducting as the suck is quite strong and I wanted to re-duce it. But I would have thought they would get fried if they fly anywhere near the top of the flame anyway!

Why not put some mesh on your window if you are worried about insects getting in the room?

Hazer

Ah, here my (vast) ignorance is showing - I thought insects would get into the outside ducting (i.e. the end that leads outside -I'll be feeding it out through a window). Have I just completly made that up? Is it actually impossible?

Thanks for the idea about the window mesh :-*

Nick

If you are worried about mesh reducing the suction just use a larger fan and use a metal mesh rather than a plastic mesh. The difference in fan size is just a few quid from places like Progrow if you get a RVK fan. I got the ducting from another company in Wolverhampton and paid less the £25 for a 3 metre by 250mm length of aluminium flexable ducting delivered to the door. The ducting should not be that close to the flame as to make it get hot but close enough to draw the fumes out. Hope this helps.

If you ring Prowgrow they are very helpful with good advice.
If you need the ducting company web site I would need to find it.

Dragonfire Glass

You could put mesh over the vent end of the ducting outside the window. Of course it's possible for them to climb up - they manage to get everywhere! I have a plate over the vent end, it's fixed in the wall, for exactly that reason  ;D

spexy

Quote from: Hazer on November 28, 2011, 09:38:30 PM
Ah, here my (vast) ignorance is showing - I thought insects would get into the outside ducting (i.e. the end that leads outside -I'll be feeding it out through a window). Have I just completly made that up? Is it actually impossible?

Thanks for the idea about the window mesh :-*

Aaah! I understand now. A piece of plastic mesh on that end should be fine.