Help...what do I need, to change from Mapp gas to propane???

Started by Dreams of Glass, August 04, 2007, 07:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreams of Glass

Hi

Some advice please... after just finishing off second bottle of Mapp gas and knowing this is deff what I want to do, hubby and I have decided to go ahead and switch to propane but I don't know what to do now or where the best place to get the equipment is... having bought everything i have so far from e-bay over several months...

any help much appreciated... ???

thank you :)
Ingrid                         
xx

littlegiggles

glassworks

speak to martin at tufnell glass for a bulk adaptor kit for a hot head!

;)

littlegiggles

Dreams of Glass

Thank you guys, thats a real help...I think I'll be getting in touch with Martin on Monday.

(On a dickie laptop which keeps turning itself off so got to be quick, back on computer Monday)

Thanks again ;D ;D ;D
Ingrid                         
xx

Shirley

what they all said. Well done for only taking two Mapp bottles to decide. It took me six! ;D
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

TheJanie

Hi,

I'm also looking to make the conversion to propane - I've been looking at the Bulk Fuel Hot Head Connector Kit from Tuffnell Glass...

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/media/l_hose.jpg

Just wondering... which end connects to the Hot Head?  Is it the end nearest the knob or the other end?  Instinct says it's the other end...?

And I'm assuming these are the right cannisters: http://www.chorleybottlegas.co.uk/products_lpg_propane.php ?  If so, that's great because Chorley Bottle Gas are about a 5 minute drive from me ;)

Cheers,

Janie

Lush!

Hi Janie.
I bought the connector from Tuffnells very recently - the end with the big black knob (hope that's not too technical!) goes at the gas bottle end.

My tip would be to take the hose with you when you get your gas to make absolutely certain its the right connector.  I initially bought BP propane from Homebase and couldn't work out how to put it all together.  It was only when I looked up the Calor gas website that I realised they work differently.  I had to then buy a Calor bottle and cross my fingers that Homebase would give me a refund (which they did, phew!)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

TheJanie

finks

I went to the local welding shop. I had a photo of what I needed and they sorted it out for me - had to buy a flashback arrestor from the plumbers. Then I went to builders merchant to get some gas- was really easy!
The whole set up cost me about £40 ish quid, might have been a bit less - was really easy to sort out but took a little leg work because I had to find welders etc.
But it might be worth a look in your area for a welders. Was cheaper so I had more cash to spend on glass!