confused and in need of help!

Started by Aurorabelfast, November 22, 2011, 12:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurorabelfast

Hi everyone, i ordered a new, bigger kiln a while ago and it arrived last week. A paragon fusion 10. So its quite big but doesn't need 3 phase, will run off household just with a separate breaker as the amps are high. the problem is i don't know what to do with the plug. It is a UK style 3 pronged job and looks exactly like any other appliance plug except the prongs are about an inch longer than other appliances. (i cannot work out how to get a photo on here)
Does anyone recognise what Im talking about? Do u think ill need a special socket and where on earth can one be found. nothing i can see of help on paragon website
Nic x

helbels

I know its a paragon kiln but you could try giving lee at kiln care a call, he is usually happy to assist with most things.

Zeldazog

I was originally under the impression that that kiln had to be hard-wired in, like a cooker does - however when my studio share partner's kiln was delivered, a similar powered but different kiln it had a detachable plug, - round with prongs - the Kiln came from europe though - we got the special socket from an electricians supplies and our resident maintenance man did it.

Where did you buy the kiln from, why don't you check what they suggest?

flame n fuse

I think you might need a special cable from the fuse box - similar to what you need for an electric cooker - ask an electrician

Zeldazog

Answered form my phone earlier, not a full answer!

I think F&F is correct - even if it isn't hardwired in so that you can unplug it, the heavy duty cable, which should be on a seperate ring main, should be installed by an electrician from your fuse box - they should recognise the plug and be able to install a special socket -

Pat from Canvey

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector  On one of the Paragon 10 sites I found a reference to a plug type nema 6-30P. Does this seem like your plug? See pictures to the right of the link. My American bandsaw is packed away at the moment so I can't look at the plug but I seem to recall that my plug loks similar to the top picture, left hand one. My saw operates via a transformer bought from a local company. The transformer plugs into the house mains and the saw's plug goes into the transformer. Hope this is of some help. My transformer is a square box bought after talking to suppliers about what I wanted to use with it. Speak to a local electrician perhaps.