Broken beads to cabs

Started by Lakelady, November 18, 2011, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakelady

I am loath to bin my beautiful disaster beads so thought I would have a go at turning them into cabs.  I found this link:
Quote from: beadysam on January 11, 2007, 07:08:42 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148189&highlight=beads+cabs
I wondered if anyone does this and has anything to add.  I will be using a Prometheus kiln and won't be able to see what is happening through the spy hole - what to other people do?

Thanks,
Jo x
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Hotglass28

Start at a low temp and make your way up to see what the temp does to the bead half.  you may like them slightly slumped or you may like the totally melted.

Get experimenting and make lots of notes on what you do. and photos too  ;D

If you happy to open the door and take a peek then do so, but be careful of you eyeballs and eyebrows  :D
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Lakelady

Thanks, I will!  Thinking slightly slumped.......would quite like to keep my eyeballs, so it will be a quick peek, rather than a full on ogle!!  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Hotglass28

I've ruined a pair of contact lens by peeking in too close. I'm now careful  ;D

www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Blue Box Studio

I put mine on kiln paper and use a slumping schedule I found on here.  If I'm lucky I get a matching pair for cufflinks.  I've an SC2.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

dangerousbead

I've done broken beads at a fusing temp but they never come out exactly matching in size.

Lakelady

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on November 18, 2011, 11:59:58 PM
I put mine on kiln paper and use a slumping schedule I found on here.  If I'm lucky I get a matching pair for cufflinks.  I've an SC2.

Cufflinks is what I was thinking - would it be really cheeky if I asked which schedule you use?

Quote from: dangerousbead on November 19, 2011, 12:12:39 AM
I've done broken beads at a fusing temp but they never come out exactly matching in size.
I guess that will be an issue.  Still, if I don't get matching sizes, I will set them into silver clay and make pendants!

Quote from: Hotglass28 on November 18, 2011, 10:49:28 PM

I've ruined a pair of contact lens by peeking in too close. I'm now careful  ;D

Eek!  That must have been scary... :o
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Pat from Canvey

I use 785 deg cent in my big ceramic kiln. No controller except temperature dial and soak switch so I heat up fast, hold for an hour and shut off kiln to cool. It takes about 12 hours. I use fibre paper on the shelf. Makes very good cabochons. Failed marbles work too.

Lakelady

Thanks Pat!  I will give it a go.  :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: Lakelady on November 19, 2011, 06:52:27 AM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on November 18, 2011, 11:59:58 PM

Cufflinks is what I was thinking - would it be really cheeky if I asked which schedule you use?

Not sure, it must have been on here somewhere.  I'll be down there later this morning (waiting in for gas man - boiler died yet again) and will write down the numbers for you.  Bear with me and remind me if I don't let you know by tonight!!
Sue

Lakelady

Thanks Sue.  Much appreciated.   :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Blue Box Studio

According to my SC2 ...

Ramp 1 220
Temp 1 677
Hold 1 30
Ramp 2 333
Temp 2 816
Hold 2 10
Ramp 3 full
temp 3 516
Hold 3 30
Ramp 4 83
Temp 4 317
Hold 4 0000
Ramp 5 full
Temp 5 80
Hold 5 0000
Ramp 6 0000

If someone else has a better programme I'll try it.  But this seems to work for me.
Sue

Lakelady

Thanks Sue.  Will post the results of my experiments doing it both ways!  Someone else might find it useful.  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art