HH - Size of bulk cylinder?

Started by misspixie, November 10, 2011, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misspixie

I had a dig through some old threads and couldn't find an answer to this, so hoping someone can help me out!

I've recently re-started my lampworking, but have had to go back to using a HH, as my flat just isn't big enough to fit my minor and oxycon with adequate ventilation etc for it all. I skipped using my HH on bulk, and went straight from MAPP to the big shiny set up, so I'm a little unsure what to do right now!

Obviously, I don't want to be using MAP for long, cos it's obscenely expensive (more so than last time I did it, it shocked me walking into B&Q on Monday!), so I want to upgrade to a propane cylinder, but what is the smallest I can use and still keep the pressure high enough? I live up a few flights of stairs, so don't want to be carrying anything more than I have to up with me!

Lucy x

flame n fuse

I switched from a HH on Map to a bobcat on oxycon and propane. The cylinder is labelled '3.9 kg' and is a bit bigger than a football (if you see what I mean). It lasts ages!!!!!!!! (and doeesn't require weight-lifting qualifications)

misspixie

3.9k! That's what I wanted to hear :)

Emerald

ive got the slightly bigger one than that its 6kg not to hefty and costs around 23.00 as the price has just been hiked again
Jo

www.etsy.com/shop/jowalker68
www.jowalkerstudiojeweller.co.uk
www.flickr.com/account

Nikki

I use the 13kg and it only cost £24 but its really heavy so not ideal.

Blue Box Studio

I started with the 3.9kg cylinder, left over from my silver working days, but use a 6kg now.  It lasted ages on my HH, and much longer now I am using an oxycon.  I also have a Flogas 11kg, courtesy of Freecycle, and I wouldn't want to be carrying that very far; will be trying to swap that for a 6kg when the time comes.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Emerald

Quote from: Nikki on November 10, 2011, 10:51:34 PM
I use the 13kg and it only cost £24 but its really heavy so not ideal.

Jo

www.etsy.com/shop/jowalker68
www.jowalkerstudiojeweller.co.uk
www.flickr.com/account

SilverGems89

a 3.9kg cylinder would last ages on a dual fuel set up, but not very long with a hh (depending on your level of usage obviously) i use a 13kg, and as Nikki said they are heavy, i have to get one of the men folk to get it upstairs for me when i get a new one (i can move the empty ones myself) so i'd say try a 6kg, you could always go to your supplier and ask to "test" how heavy each size is?

Lynnybobs

I'e got a 3.9kg and its lasted me through quite a few torching sessions - I'd say about 25 - 30 hours worth and its not too heavy or bulky to carry.
Lynnybobs
----x----

poledra1958

I use the 3.9kg with my HH as well

HH on Bulk,

misspixie

Thanks everyone. I think I'll start with the 3.9kg, and see how long it lasts me - with work the way it is, 25-30 hours a month would probably be pretty lucky! The refill price is still a lot cheaper than using the MAP, so it'd still be a definite saving, even if I do have to upgrade to the 6kg later on :)

helbels

Miss Pixie, I work in a one bedroom flat, and use an oxy and Cricket - I've got the smallest set up in the world, but it's doable!  I actually work in my bedroom on a unit that's about 3ft x 2ft wide! If you want me to send you a picture of my workspace, let me know.

Admittedly, it probably depends on how houseproud you are, as it's not very attractive, but it IS feasible!

Purple Cobwebs

My kiln sits by my microwave in the kitchen, so I'm definitely in the torching's more important than housepride camp LOL!

Quote from: helbels on November 11, 2011, 12:21:45 PM
Admittedly, it probably depends on how houseproud you are, as it's not very attractive, but it IS feasible!
Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

misspixie

Quote from: helbels on November 11, 2011, 12:21:45 PM
Miss Pixie, I work in a one bedroom flat, and use an oxy and Cricket - I've got the smallest set up in the world, but it's doable!  I actually work in my bedroom on a unit that's about 3ft x 2ft wide! If you want me to send you a picture of my workspace, let me know.

I'd love my torch (and I'm still tempted!), but my landlord is willing to accept the little one, but when he saw the piccies of my minor and me working on it, he didn't look all that pleased!