Oxycon running costs

Started by Martman, October 25, 2011, 12:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martman

Hi All

Does any one have any idea on the running costs compaired to using BOC Y size Oxygen when using a Mega Minor.
Before I buy an oxygen regulator flame arrest and hose and sign my bank account over to BOC, will I be better of with an Oxycon machine or are these generators a waste of time and its better to go for the bottle!

Mart

Kalorlo

You'd have to work out the electricity costs, and how many oxycons you'd be using. (I use one for a Minor - hasn't had a noticeable effect on the lecky bill).

ARBeads

We found the BOC account to be stupidly pricey - why do I have to pay delivery when I fetch it!

Our Boc contract worked out about £1 an hour our oxycon was around 5p, these are old figures (3 years ago) as not worked it out recently with the leccy price hikes but can't see it being that different.

We've had our first oxycon for nearly 3 years without a hitch and we hammer it -  dragging it round fields every weekend and constant use in the week. The cylinders we're a pain in the ass to move and scared organisers of craft fairs!

If your can afford the oxycon I'd go with that every time, we use 2 if we're doing bigger stuff.

Ruth x

Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Hamilton Taylor

A 5l/min oxycon draws about 400w, if that's of use. I reckon you will find that oxycons will be by far the least costly way to get oxygen.

sean

julieHB

I just checked my oxycon as well - 295W  :)
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Hamilton Taylor

oop, thought it was more - ok about 300w then.... ::)

ScarletLeonard

I don't have oxygen yet but I hadn't even entertained the thought of using bottled oxygen.

I know that an oxycon running 3l/min 24 hours a day 365 days a year costs around £200/year (neighbour on medical oxygen) which wouldn't be very different at 5l/min (it's still the same electric.)

Now I certainly don't plan to be running the oxy all day every day I would estimate the oxycon may cost me £50/year running costs at the most. I pay more than that a year for my gas to run the hot head.

Depends what you are doing, if you are making huge boro sculptures and other big stuff 90% of the time then bottled is apparently better but for beads and small stuff oxycon is more than enough and cost effective. After all if you are selling/planning to sell these costs have to be factored into the price of your beads.

garishglobes

Scotland is higher up in the country, so the different air pressure leads to a higher wattage use.

I would say it depends what you are likely to be doing. You'll need more oxygen (or a more oxygen-rich flame) if you plan on using coloured boro, and more still for larger coloured boro. Having said that, despite the intial outlay everything I've ever heard suggests that oxycons usually work out well.

Kaz

Quote from: garishglobes on October 25, 2011, 03:13:37 PM
Scotland is higher up in the country, so the different air pressure leads to a higher wattage use.

It's since they got their own Government - they don't subscribe to standard SI units any more! ;D

Seriously, I am interested in this post as I keep getting to the verge of ordering one of the posh bigger oxys and then bottle out (no pun intended). I have the space to go on bottled oxy but based on using it in Oz, it is just too expensive to consider as a full time alternative for me, unfortunately (as I love the extra heat and the cleanliness of the flame!)
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Redhotsal

Quote from: Martman on October 25, 2011, 12:14:58 PM
sign my bank account over to BOC......

Noooooo......don't do that! It was costing me around £500-600 a year in bottled oxy with BOC. They are particularly expensive. If you do go down the bottled route at least check out Energas or Flo Gas if you have a local rep as they are cheaper. BOC will charge a yearly contract (which used to be around £90 per year per bottle). You'll need at least two bottles, obviously - 'cos then you can change one over if you run out. They charged around £30 per "refill" but as it's cheaper to go for the larger bottle size you'll have to get it delivered so that'll be a £40 charge (all this is ex-vat). They'll moan about getting their wagon down your residential estate road and will leave the bottle inconveniently outside your house so you'll have to "walk" it through to where you have your kit. Hopefully there are no steps on this route?. I used to dread the arrival of the BOC man - who in my area was a particularly surly individual, totally lacking a sense of humour.

You'll also need a two stage regulator and an oxygen flashback arrestor. And you'll need high pressure oxy hosing.

If it's BOC you'll also need to purchase the special square valve opener as they always "forget" to tell you about that so when you realise you need it you'll end up paying pounds for the BOC one, even though you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Have I convinced you yet?

On the other hand - the average 5l/min oxycon runs at 1.4A which means your power consumption is around 300W - so like running three 100W bulbs. Not that they exist anymore. They're quiet, convenient and run on, fresh air, actually. They have a fan, a compressor and a special funky filter which filters out the oxygen from the air (mostly nitrogen is expelled). It'll cost you about £260 and it won't be brand new but it will have paid for itself in six months as compared to bottled oxy. Yes, they do go wrong - it's usually a dodgy fan, or the tubing comes adrift inside. Sometimes you can be unlucky and get one with a crappy compressor but usually they're great value for money. And in terms of sheer ease of use and convenience there's no comparison.

One 5l/min unit is ample for standard bead making. If you're impatient or want to foray into borosilicate you should consider linking up two units.

garishglobes

...and if it helps, I can work boro nicely on the equivalent of between 15 and 17lpm oxycons. I can't go huge, but I can blow up to wineglass size clear with relative ease (I could probably go bigger with a bushier-flamed torch) and can blow fair-sized coloured vessels without badly reducing or muddying the colours. I can make reasonable-sized coloured boro sculptures, too - I wouldn't want to be making anything much bigger on a torch!
To me, if you were using soft glass, this would be a no-brainer - but what I'm really trying to say, in my rambling way, is that it is still better to work boro with oxycons for most people. The initial outlay may be  bigger, but they pay for themselves in the longer run.

Martman

Thanks for all your help and advice

Does any on run a Mega Minor on a single oxycon?

Mart

Lyn G

Yes....I ran one quite happily on one oxycon......until I decided I wanted to try boro, so then I got a second oxycon.   ::)  I now use both oxycons all the time, even when I am not using boro.   :D :D

Martman

Thanks Lyn.

I'm sold.

For all those intrested.

The cost of using BOC bottled oxygen.
These are the October 2011 prices and include vat based on the Y bottle because its the biggest I can lift into the car 39Kg.
Gas price is £21.94.
Rental is £100.20 for a year or £9 a month 3 and 5 year contracts are available.
For the privilege of collecting the bottle its £15.66 if you want it delivered its £55.92.
And don't forget the environment surcharge around 60p .

That's a minimum of £38 for a refill.

You will also need a 2 stage 4 bar oxygen regulator, flame arrester and hose around £200.

Mart