Doing demos

Started by Lotti, October 18, 2011, 08:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

Ok, so I have been asked if I want to share a table with a wonderful artist friend of mine at Bampton Charter Fair next week, initally I was going to say yes, but then saw that someone is doing demo's of glass bead making and as my friend would have registered her stall as an artist (painting etc), thought I might get into trouble, so am not going to go (this year).   

Then on the subject of Demo's my weekly fair that I go to is thinking about extending to quarterly Saturdays next year and they have asked all the craft folks if they could do demos of their work (some already do work at their tables when it is quiet, I make up pieces and then get a shock when I find someone staring at me!).  I had originally said I couldn't and then thought, why not.  I know I would need PLI to cover doing it and I guess would need a HH rather than having to lug my minor etc around, but how do you get round the diddy problem, I am guesssing a screen/screens *(where would I get them from and what sort of cost are we talking about?).  I will try to go to Bampton just to have a look, but can you folks who do demo (and I know alot do) how you go about this (I still feel a bit new to be doing this at the mo, but we are talking about first one in March next year).  Thank you for your hlep. :)

SRJ

Having seen tuffnell's demonstrating at how to use a bead press - why dont you ask them for help and advice...... they had persex(?) screening rond 3 sides of the stand they were using to shield the watchers from flying/spitting glass etc.

Helen G

I think if people are just watching you for a few minutes then (although the flare will make it difficult to see much) you don't need to have a diddy screen. After reading another thread on here it seems the hot head makes it even less of a necessity  ;)

Jeanniegems

Interesting! I too would like to know what other people do, I too have been asked to demo but have always said no because I thought it would be too difiicult to set up. Any information would be great, my biggest concern has been about the ventilation. Looking forward to this feedback

Jeannie x
www.jeanniegems.co.uk
www.jeanniegems.etsy.com

Glyn Burton

Hi Lotti
I have done demos using a HH and didnt bother with a diddy screen I did however have screens to protect the punters from flying debris, will you be working indoors? I once tried in a marquee and it was very windy blowing the flame about.
Given peoples desire to sue at the drop of a hat PLI is a must I am a member of Genuine Jersey and we get £3 millions worth as part of our membership deal are there any groups near you offering a similar thing? If you subscribe to Artists Newsletter (its about £35 pa) you get £2.5 millions worth thrown in and their website is great for specimen contracts etc.
Best of luck with it.
Glyn

Lotti

Thanks for all your help and advice folks, I do have AIR, need to check the fine print. :)

Does anyone have photos of their demo set up at fairs etc, would be great to see them if you do. :)  Feeling much braver now! :)

Lush!

I demoed with a HH a couple of weeks ago

Malvern Autumn Show 2011 by LushLampwork, on Flickr

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Lotti

Ooh thanks Julie, what did you use to make the screen? Xx :)

Lush!

I used a very nice man  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Dragonfire Glass

This is mine -table from ebay, perspex from a hardware store.

1-5-10 by Dragonfire Glass, on Flickr

Lotti

Quote from: Lush! on October 19, 2011, 10:43:08 PM
I used a very nice man  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks for your piccy too Colette, looks a brialliant set up; ideas comming thick and fast now. :)  You are a lovely lot. :)

Jeanniegems

Wonderful ideas, thanks folks

Jeannie x
www.jeanniegems.co.uk
www.jeanniegems.etsy.com