How long..

Started by Little Harriet, September 13, 2011, 02:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Harriet

Sorry if this seems a daft newbie question... I'm hopefully ordering my very first kiln later this afternoon (a Paragon sc2) after months and months of saving *does happy dance* , and would like to make some glass jewellery pendants about 1x1inch at first. I'd like to know, approximately, how long they take from putting them in the kiln at the beginning to being able to take them out all finished? How long does the Paragon take to cool down? I think at first I may be a bit worried to leave it on its own.
Being completely new to fusing I haven't quite got my head around firing schedules and such but think I'll learn more by doing. Sadly there is no fusing classes near me so I have to learn everything online or books and this ace community.
Thanks for reading!

LH
x
Come and see what I'm up to at http://littleharriet.blogspot.com/
:)

Zeldazog

Hope you've placed your order now Harriet, bet you can't wait for it to arrive!  I was like a cat on hot (kiln) bricks when I'd ordered my first one.

As always, there's a lot of variables, but a full fusing schedule can take anything from about 9 to about 15 hours, depending on kiln efficiency.  However a large portion of this is the natural cool down time at the end of the cycle.  You're probably only talking 3 or 4 hours to top temperature, and a controlled time during anneal cool that there's much power going to the elements. 

It's usually recommended that you do a first firing to burn off any binders from manufacturing anyway, which is your opportunity to sit and watch your kiln and make sure it does stop, etc, although it does sometimes get a bit smelly.... I very soon got over the novelty of watching the kiln fire up.... which is ever so slightly more exciting than watching paint dry  ;D

Moreton

Don't be nervous about your kiln setting fire to things. As long as you leave a good air space round it and avoid having combustable stuff (paper, packing boxes etc) near then kilns are very safe. Remember that it is essentialy a fire proof box, carefully designed to keep heat in not let it escape. As Dawn said once you have monitored a couple of firing you will be rather relieved NOT to watch it  ;D

Good luck with your new adventure and show us how you get on.

Pete
Pete

awrylemming

Definitely don't do what I did, and have your kiln gathering dust for many (many) months because I was too chicken to turn it on!  I have a nice metal Ikea table, once I had that, no problem  ;)

Little Harriet

Thank you for the great advice everyone :) This is such a lovely, helpful site.
I may have to use my kiln in the garage (using an extension lead - another problem as i'm not sure that is a good idea) because my folks are certain it is going to be too fumey.  I'll just have to talk them around!

Thanks again,

LH
x

Zeldazog

It will only be 'fumey' on first firing and only until around 500 degrees C - unless you decide to fire something combustible in future.  Before I got my studio space, I used to have my kiln in the kitchen, and we happily cooked and ate in there when it was firing (nice in winter!)

Make sure if you do use an extension that you use an appropriately rated one, uncoiled, etc.

Little Harriet

Thank you again :) It sounds lovely having meals around a kiln :)
I have loads to learn but its very exciting! I can see myself becoming a bit of a glass addict :)

LH
x