Makers mark

Started by Sandera, September 09, 2011, 08:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandera

Well, I've just set up my business account having picked up my first check from the local art gallery and am feeling all grown up and responsible! Hardly had a wink of sleep last night because I've got a whole load of ideas on the go. One of which is looking for a way of marking my fused glass pieces. Currently I stick a gold stamp on them but obviously, as this is paper, it will end up looking shabby and/or peel off. Has anyone got a permanent solution? I was thinking about possibly getting a stamp made that would leave an impression on kiln paper and fire it it into the reverse of the glass.

laurat

Think out loud I can think of the following.....

What about an etching type thing, I think there is some kind of hand tool that scratces the surface of the glass or there is a gold pen that fires to set during normal firing. Warm glass sell these I think???

or what about making a design on a bit of foil and slip it between the layers of glass? would be a problem if it was single layer of glass, hmmmm maybe not a good idea then!

sparrow

This might b low-key, but yes, I'd sign them with a dremel :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Moreton

I may have this completley wrong, what changes  ::) but I rather think that Carl Martin ? Wibbly Wobby Glass offered a custom stamp service. He's not been here for some time now so perhaps he's moved on and not doing such anymore.

Anyone know what happened to him as he was fairly active on the forum and had monthly get togethers at his rather luxurious Hampshire premises.
Pete

Sandera

Thanks folks. I think I will try Wibbly Wobble glass (great name!) and see if he still operates as this sounds just the ticket. Got a titanium pen but I'm not really getting away with it and was sure there must be a way of making an imprint in the glass.

I'll let you know how I get on.

awrylemming

Wibbly wobbly glass changed their name and moved premises I believe.  Not sure what to though?  It may be better to look up Carls name.

mizgeorge

Quote from: awrylemming on September 10, 2011, 01:54:45 PM
Wibbly wobbly glass changed their name and moved premises I believe.  Not sure what to though?  It may be better to look up Carls name.

I think they've been through several name changes and a number of premises since then.

Moreton

Just did a search for "Wibbly Wobbly Glass" and though there is no physical address he does seem to be around and doing Glass, Silver, Art metalwork and general Welding of Motorbikes and any thing you want building or repairing. Oh and Antique restorations. Hmm. He says that he no longer teaches but gives lots of demos just about everywere, all a bit confusing to be honest. He does seem to be a past master at re-incarnation  ??? ::) ???  And trailers including HGV stuff and Mobile welding and... And... And  ::)

Pete
Pete

Sandera

Do you mark/sign your fused glass pieces? The guy who runs the local art gallery (and who has very kindly given me loads of free advice) said that buyers like to have a makers mark - it adds value to a piece.