Bubbling Bullseye blue frit

Started by garishglobes, September 08, 2011, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garishglobes

I've been playing with a few Bullseye powders recently, and most of them are really lovely to work in the flame... but the blues are bubbling and spitting like crazy things!
This isn't something I'm used to seeing in the rods, where they seem to work much like other colours. I've tried working a bit cooler and further out in the flame but it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Have I just chosen the wrong blues, and are there some that are smoother to work with  ???

GlassOwl

Hmmm not tried the Bullseye powders, I will have a go at the weekend I have just one blue I think

Will let you know what I find

Thanks

Sandra

garishglobes

Thanks  :) It is odd that it is just the blues. I am wondering if whatever it is that makes the colour in them is causing problems (copper???)

awrylemming

I have one of the bullseye blues (cyan) but it's an enamel, had no problems with that if you'd like to try a bit?

garishglobes

That's really kind of you, but I think I probably need to use the powders  :) I'm layering them several layers thick and am wondering if this is actually part of the problem. The first couple of layers seem much less prone to bubbling. I may have to see if using an 'undercoat' of a different colour would help.

awrylemming

Hmmm, intriguing  ;D  Good luck with the project, I hope you overcome this difficulty.

GlassOwl

Hi
I had a go and definitely with one layer there were no problems. I was using Royal Blue powder.

I dont have two blues in powder I did try midnight blue in coarse with it and that was fine

Does it seem to affect any other colours as I can have a good old go tomorrow with any of my colours

Let me know as I should get a little bead time tomorrow

Thanks

Sandra

garishglobes

Thanks so much for having a go  :) I don't have royal blue and I must admit that I had wondered if this was the lighter colours, as well as if it was related to the layer thickness.
I'll try again with some of the darker blues and see what happens. All the other colours I've tried have worked really well - it has just been the blues I've had problems with.