Grinders

Started by laurat, September 07, 2011, 02:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurat

Hi

I am thinking of investing in a grinder, Does anyone have any advice on which is best and where to find the best value.

I have had a look round but it leaves me a little bit awe struck!!

Laura

SueP

I'll be interested in this too  :)

julieHB

A few years ago I got the Inland swaptop grinder, as I thought I might be wanting the other conversion kits later. Very happy about that decision - Last spring I got the flat lap conversion kit, and I am sooo happy with it! I was very happy with the grinder as well.

This is just a viewpoint, though - I am sure there are other, maybe better, grinders around!

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

Moreton

I have the Inland Swop Top. Grinder, Lap (6" or 8" disks) & Saw. I like it and it does the job. If you can't afford the entire kit then the grinder can be bought and the other bits added later though that does increase the final price. Inland themselves do sell them but also Warm Glass (cheaper) have had them but not sure of the present situation as there were some probs with the manufactures sourcing of motors.

Pete

Moreton

Ha! cross posted with Julie  :D
Pete

Hazel

I have had several grinders and my favourite is the Kristall 2000S - it's a really strong solid 'workhorse'. I find the Swaptop is OK but feel it is not as robust as the 2000S. I had a Glastar before but I did not like it as much as the Kristall. Warm glass have several others to choose from too. It really depends on what you are going to use it for too.
http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/inland-kristall-2000s-grinder-p-308.html?wizid=usjmm56pc1s75rdiocu3h1quj6

julieHB

;D @ Pete. Btw, I think Inland has sorted the engine probs now.

As Hazel says, it depends very much on its intended use - if I had been sure I only wanted a grinder I would probably not chosen the Inland swaptop. I think there are grinders that have more extras than the Inland as well (i.e. all sorts of helping guides to enables you to get different shaped edges/bevels etc.)

I used the grinder mainly for rounding and shaping edges of fused glass cabs, but after I got my glass ring saw I never used it any more, and for cabochons I use the flat lap. I can see that I might need the grinder again, though, so cannot get rid of it yet  :).
Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

laurat

Just had a look on warm glass and the inland is looking good.

I havent decided what to d with it yet!!!

SueP

Found this info good as well - dropping hints for a ring saw for Xmas so might hold off for now - there is a big gap between need and want  ;D ;D

laurat

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

laurat

OOOoooooooo I want one of those too now!!!

:D :D :D

I need to save/sell more to get one of those!!!

Sarah A

I was fortunate enough to get a ring saw second hand with new sealed dichroic ring very cheap. Haven't used it yet though so any tips would be appreciated.

Jeanniegems

When I worked in stained glass, making leaded windows etc. I bought the Gryphon Ring Saw, only because my shop at the time was Gryphon Gifts! Was so excited to get it and ended up only using it about half a dozen times. Sold it on a couple of years ago after selling my shop. Wish now I had kept it as I have more time to get to play with it. Good luck with your choice, might end up getting another myself one day.
Jeannie x
www.jeanniegems.co.uk
www.jeanniegems.etsy.com

Warm Glass UK

We have the Taurus ringsaw and Inland Grinders on display if you are close enough to come and have a look and a play? We also have a UK price promise on power tools so do feel free to take us up on it! The Inland machine that had issues with the motor was the Inland Diamond Bandsaw (not a grinder) so we no longer do this machine as we didn't feel it was robust enough for the job but the Taurus is amazing albeit more expensive than the Inland saw was. You kind of get what you pay for with power tools which is why we offer three levels for all our power tools - a good, proven hobby level one, an intermediate one and a professional option - all three are tested and put through thier paces however before we stock them to make sure that they do the job they say they will. Give us a call if you want to talk through the myriad of choices on the market!

Pippa