Using a lentil press

Started by turtle, August 30, 2011, 02:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtle

Sorry if I am asking a stupid Question, It has probably been answered somewhere already,

I have bought a lentil press. Do you decorate then press, Press decorate and press again or press and decorate?
I have never used a press before (or seen one in use).

Many Thanks,
Chris
Chris

jammie

All of the above!  ::)
There is quite a lot of info on lentils if you search the home page, I know I asked many of the questions!  ;D

sarah t

depends on the decoration you are using ...the look you want .... etc. etc.

just remember when you press you take the heat out of the glass so warm it up again before you do any thing else .......

have a look on 'you tube' ..there are tuts for various presses and the shapes maybe different but the principles are roughly the same

but like with most things beady its PPP !

Pat from Canvey

For my lentil press, I make a thin cylinder to approximate the width of the press and try it for size on the press. Add a bit if it's not long enough. Then build up the cylinder until you think there is enough glass, heat uniformly and do a trial press using only the bottom half of the press, Add more glass if it doesn't fill the press or take some away with tweezers if it overlaps the press. Do another trial press to see if the glass is now enough. Reheat and do a final press with both halves of press if you intend to decorate after pressing. Some people do it differently but this works for me.

ruth

Thank you Chris for asking this question. Thank you knowledgeable people for taking time to answer.

Ruth
Frittering the children's inheritance.

turtle

Thanks for the replies,
All i need now is the bottle to give it a go  ;D
Chris

sarah t

i do mine slightly differently to pat ...i make a marble (find i get better ends that way ) then do a test squish then add etc. till right then do a final press flame polish and into kiln  ......but just find what works for you ......AND GO FOR IT  ;D

GaysieMay

I also make a barrel about 2mm short on either side of the press.  I then build it up and keep pressing it into the bottom til it is about right.  Remember to bear in mind that if you are decorating and then pressing anything left proud will be flattened and therefore distorted.  Pick it up and have a go - what's the worst that can happen (I know - you'll become addicted)!  :)
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay