Light fittings?

Started by sparrow, August 21, 2011, 12:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

I have an idea........(well, as usual, I have about a million, and they might not all happen, lol!)

I found this:

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/mould-8354-mini-lamp-bender-p-2307.html

...but nowhere does it say where to get a fitting for the finished lampshade? I'm assuming it's a wall light.......are there other funky light fittings available?
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

SueP

sparrow

Ooooh, thank you! Yes, that's a great start  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

fellgirl

You're an angel, that's exactly what I've been searching for too - thanks! x
:)

Pat from Canvey

Don't forget to look at stained glass suppliers such as Tempsford Stained Glass when looking for glass lamp shade fittings.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I've got a light fitting from Ikea sitting in the studio that takes a large flat glass panel too. Reminds me I should do something with it!

fellgirl

I had been considering buying some Ikea fittings as they are cheap enough to 'decontruct' and refit with my work.  However, how are Ikea (or others) likely to view this?  I wouldn't want to be accused of stealing anothers designs and passing them off as my own.  ie if I made a new lampshade and fitted it to an exisiting Ikea base.  Thoughts please.  Is it me or is there a gap in the market?   I've been looking for ages for lamp fitting 'blanks' to use that don't look like everyone elses.  I'm not in a position to incur extra costs by commissioning bespoke fittings either.  Surely we don't all have to reinvent the wheel?  Thanks!

Zeldazog

I'm sure somebody must already make them, its just knowing what to call them when searching....

As for using Ikea/copying designs, I would have thought that might depend on which bases/wall fittings you use, and what your design is...

sparrow

I do know somebody who regularly makes glass panels to fit IKEA fittings....and have to admit, it's a route I'm contemplating myself :)
Sabine x

Zeldazog

I know there's an Ikea light fitting that you buy the parts seperately that I've contemplated buying, but its a smidgen too big for my kiln unfortuately - and I have so many ideas!

elburnzo

hmmmm i'm trying my hand at stained glass and wanted to make wall lights but can only find ones with american plugs :( which ikea fittings are we talking about?

fellgirl

Thanks guys, I think a trip to Ikea is imminent!

Wendy woo

Hi ladies Kansas stain glass supplies at Elescar Barnsley  sell light fitting ...also got glass fusing department now and Suzanne who runs fusing department as madeone of these for displaying and looks fabulous....

Flyingcheesetoastie

Legally, to get around using Ikea or any other bought in light fitting, all you have to so is sell the shade/glass panel as priced and give the light fitting as a gift wih it. It also gets around having to be legally register to sell electronics goods too.

I.e. the buyer is paying X amount for a fused glass panel and getting a light for free.

fellgirl

Oooh, you are clever!  I wouldn't have thought of that!  Great tip - thank you.