how to vent!

Started by Mandy, August 08, 2011, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandy

Hot head and equipment came today, Yeah yeah yeah...
But i still haven't got my ventilation equipment yet and wont have for a couple of weeks....I really want to make some beads, can I do it as long as I leave doors and window open, Or is this a NO NO..... Please could someone help me out with this .... Thanks xx

Fruddy

Ideally.... it is a no no.  Especially if you are working in a confined space with lots of silver glass.

But I have to say that I worked in a brick shed for nearly a year with no ventilation - just the door behind me wide open and a hole in the wall above my torch (which used to be a vent for a tumble dryer).

It really isn't advisable - sometimes I used to feel a bit headachey after a session, but I do use a lot of Double Helix.

My advice would be, if you can sort it now, do so.   My husband put mine in for me two weeks ago and I can really tell the difference.... wish I'd done it much sooner... ::)

SilverGems89

I'm still working without ventilation a year and a half later (I have the equipment just hard to motivate my dad to fit it!) and as Rachel says as long as your not using an awful lot of silver glass or metals and not shutting yourself away for hours at a time you can have short sessions just with the use of windows and doors for ventilation!
The thing to remember is to have air movement, one window open wont do a lot, you need somewhere for the air to come in and somewhere else for it to go out!

Mandy

Thankyou for you replies... I have two windows open and im right next to a door... I did a couple of very weird shaped beads then went for air...lol.. Will get the ventilation in the next week... Crazy to think this freaked me out and I smoke, which i do intend to give up so I can buy more glass.. ;).. Thanks again xx

Margram

I worked in a draughty shed (what am I talking about - I still do ::)) and only had door and window open, plus a desk fan pushing the air away for my first few months. I wasn't using silver glass or silver leaf at the time, though. Good luck with the giving-up;  you'll be able to buy loads of glass with your savings! :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

noora

When I worked without ventilation I got headaches :( I have a Minor with an oxycon so I guess the air turned stale quite fast. I had a couple of windows open but it didn't help obviously.

paintboxcrafts

I set my carbon monoxide detector off when I was using my old Hot head on it's cylinder of Mapp gas as a torch for annealing copper, that was after only 15 mins! I don't make beads without my ventilation on.
www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com